30-06 improved ??

No, the Gibbs is a maxed 06 along with other things like chamber finish specific to it. The Sherman takes advantage of the longer 270 neck to maximize the case but not at the expense of neck length that happens at fire forming.
Great! Thanks. I should ask JGS for the prints to research

Thx guys. Wife picked the colors. Black, metallic charcoal and SW red. Was going to sponge it, but the wife stopped me and said, "I like it that way". Here it is with the scope and bipod. Need to put the s lock on and make some spikes
5CD69B32-0674-40EC-8B8E-70CDB578FEFD.jpeg

Neither the Sherman nor Gibbs can shoot factory 30-06 ammo unfortunately. In the Sherman you use .270 brass and either jam the bullet or size up to 338 then down to 30 for a false shoulder and load up and shoot/do COW method, factory ammo wouldn't head-space. Your best bet if you require the ability to shoot factory ammo would be the 30-06 Ack. imp. 40*, and your best bet if you want all out top performance from that bolt face and your current barrel would be the 30 Sherman. Would be about like a 300 wm. Not sure exactly what the 30-06 ack. imp. would get you? I only know of one, and he was shooting 220's around 2600, but that is going from memory, and I have no knowledge of his load, pressure, or any other specifics. But I would think about half way between a standard 06' and a 300 wm would be about where you would land. Just guessing. If nothing else, you wouldn't have to trim brass as much ha ha.

Neither the Sherman nor Gibbs can shoot factory 30-06 ammo unfortunately. In the Sherman you use .270 brass and either jam the bullet or size up to 338 then down to 30 for a false shoulder and load up and shoot/do COW method, factory ammo wouldn't head-space. Your best bet if you require the ability to shoot factory ammo would be the 30-06 Ack. imp. 40*, and your best bet if you want all out top performance from that bolt face and your current barrel would be the 30 Sherman. Would be about like a 300 wm. Not sure exactly what the 30-06 ack. imp. would get you? I only know of one, and he was shooting 220's around 2600, but that is going from memory, and I have no knowledge of his load, pressure, or any other specifics. But I would think about half way between a standard 06' and a 300 wm would be about where you would land. Just guessing. If nothing else, you wouldn't have to trim brass as much ha ha.
Thx CA. I like the idea of the Sherman, but for the price of dies, reamer and brass, I can make my own cartridge. He obviously did a good job cause people love them

Thx guys. Wife picked the colors. Black, metallic charcoal and SW red. Was going to sponge it, but the wife stopped me and said, "I like it that way". Here it is with the scope and bipod. Need to put the s lock on and make some spikes
View attachment 182608

Looks sweet, you did an excellent job with it! My gunsmith is re-chambering a Kimber 84L Hunter in .30-06 into .30 Gibbs for me. Got me the dies already.

.30 GIBBS DIE.jpg

.30 GIBBS cartridge.JPG

.30 GIBBS cartridge dimensions 2 of 2.jpg

If you Google, there are a few ways of how end-users are forming their brass. A bit pricey but QC also makes brass for it.

Good luck and thanks for sharing your new rig.

Last edited:
Looks sweet, you did an excellent job with it! My gunsmith is re-chambering a Kimber 84L Hunter in .30-06 into .30 Gibbs for me. Got me the dies already.

View attachment 182609

If you Google, there are a few ways of how end-users are forming their brass. A bit pricey but QC also makes brass for it.

Good luck and thanks for sharing your new rig.
Thank you. Post results cause I'm interested!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.