30.06 accurate load

Bob the nailer

Don't remember where I found this load data on the site and this is the second 30.06 rifle I have had excellent groups with! Minimal load work up and these 150 grain pro hunters along with IMR 4064 @ 51.2 grains just plain shoot.

Thanks again for a great site.

Attachments

• IMAG1024.jpg
    IMAG1024.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 95
That's some good shootin Bob.

Best I've ever seen with a soft point.

It might have been me that shared that load. I have used it for years. It is the suggested accuracy load right out of the 4th edition Sierra manual. I have never seen a bolt action 30-06 that will not shoot it's best with this load.

I know I found the info here just can't find the thread. I did have some help in punchin the paper with this Remington 783 and a Leatherwood ART scope. I tuned the trigger down as low as I could get it (2.5LB) and it feels really good and crisp.

This rifle will be at deer camp this year along with the other regular guns.

It seems Remington hit this out of the park. I have heard nothing but good about this rifle.

$240.00 out the door at Gander Mountain, season the bore with JB bore paste and mount up a scope. Recoil isn't bad for a Tupperware stock either.

Thanks RT2506 is was you.

#7 Report Post
Old 08-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: reloading 30-06 150gr core lokts
51.2 grs of IMR 4064 has been a super accurate load with most any 150 gr bullet for me over the past 35 years or so in the 30-06. It depends on the manual you look in as to the max. Usually it is 52 or 53 grs for IMR 4064. 51.2 grs is listed as the accuracy load in one of the old Sierra manuals with 150,s and that is what I came up with years ago. The core Lokts are not the most accurate bullet but they kill good.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

Great shooting Bob!

It seems Remington hit this out of the park. I have heard nothing but good about this rifle.

Yeah, they're a pretty decent rifle for such a low cost.

$240.00 out the door at Gander Mountain, season the bore with JB bore paste and mount up a scope. Recoil isn't bad for a Tupperware stock either.

Don't forget Remington still has a $40 mail in rebate going on. I bought 4 of them a while back and got $160 back. I've been using them as cheap rifles to learn some light gunsmithing on. Threaded the barrel myself; went perfect and have a brake on it now. Also did my first custom bolt knob on one and learned to bed an action. I put it into a Boyd's Pro Varmint. I barely got $400 into the whole dang rifle. A while back I posted some pics of my target with 178gr Amax's put through one hole at 100 yards.

Just for fun I loaded up a few softpoint Hornady 110gr loads for the 30-06 and it still shot pretty dang great even with those super light bullets. Those guys are traveling almost 3,500fps. I haven't had a chance to shoot any varmints with them yet, but the results on water filled milk jugs is pretty spectacular.

I have a few ideas for rifle #2. Because they have the barrel nut and we can change the barrels ourselves, part of me wants to get a barrel for it in 26 Nosler. And just change the barrels when they wear out like the tires on my car.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.