30.06 load question

SAM1980

I am currently working on a load for my 30.06. the gun is a 1903-A3. 27" 1in10 rh twist
Krieger 5r. standard 30.06 chamber. I went out to shoot today temp was around 78 degrees. shot a 15 round ladder test using
Berger 210 hunting VLD, nosler 30.06 springfield brass, Winchester magnum rifle primers, H4831sc, C.O.A.L of 3.43, which is about 5 thousandths of the lands. I started out at 54.3 gr and went too the max load according to berger which is 56.3 gr at 103%. I did hear a slight crunching sound while loading, but it wasn't much. and I could still hear the powder shaking around in the round. I'm new too reloading, but I felt like I still had some unused case capacity leftover.
this got me to 2657 fps according to crono.
I had no pressure signs at all this during the test. brass and primers where prefect. My goal is to break 2700 fps. don't know if I should bump up the charge until I start to see some pressure signs. or should I just look at using some different components. I want to use the hogden extreme line powders because they aren't as temperature sensitive as other powders, the next step down the powder scale is H1000.

Is anyone else trying to push these bullets out of 06? and If so what components are you using, and what are the result your getting?
Thanks for any advise guys.

Just for comparison. I use RL17 in my 06 using the 190gr Berger and really like it. Got my hands on some 215gr Bergers and am waiting for the new seater plugs from RCBS before I load any.

Here is a couple screen shots with the 210gr and the 215gr Bergers with the workup in QuickLoad using RL17 with a 27 inch barrel.

Q Load.JPG

Q 1 Load.JPG

kcebcj thank you for the quick load info. I saw on their that usable case capacity was 57.3 gr. i know that different brands of brass will hold different charges. some hold more some hold less. what brass are you using. you are using 190 gr berger VLD and I am using 210 gr. Shouldn't I be reaching the 60,000 psi limit with less charge, and I'm using a powder with a slower burn rate? also which primer are you using?

Lapua brass Fed 210 primers RL17. With the 190's I tested up to 55.5gr but found the accuracy at 53gr and a proven velocity of 2705fps. I have never measured the volume of the Lapua brass. In QuickLoad for the 300 WM it has a choice of all the different brass but for the 06 they don't. I would guess the case is small enough it does not matter...go figure.

With the 215gr the powder (RL17) should max out around 52gr's as the chart above shows. Rifles are different so will see. QuickLoad is just a guide but gives you an idea of what is going on and I shoot through a chronograph so I can compare. Also the two charts above are set up for 4000 feet elevation and 40 degree temp. I have not really checked RL17 to see just how temp stable it is. I don't really care as I work loads up in the spring and fall when it is cool around the same temps as I hunt in.

Loaded up another 10 round ladder test. Going from 56.4 gr too 57.3 gr H4831sc. Seated bullets out a bit more. COAL is at 3.348 which should have them touching the lands. Don't know when I'm going to have a chance to school again? If I don't get anymore velocity out of them. Going to start over with H4350 which is right their with reloader 17 on the burn rate chart.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.