3 Different Cartridges, Same Weight & Velocity Terminal Performance

Considering the OP gave 3000 fps as velocity and said terminal performance I'm thinking distance doesn't matter. 3000 fps is 3000 fps when Considering terminal performance as that would imply impact velocity. Obviously if it was at muzzle the impact velocity would be different and terminal performance would differ from the start without even considering caliber.

Kris

The smaller caliber with same weight is almost always going to have a higher BC (still bullet dependent and a lot of variables in bullets) so even if you drive them at the same velocity the smaller caliber will perform better at distance. It will also have higher sectional density.

You don't need a PDF document to realize this, it's pretty simple but feel free to copy and paste it into a document and read it again.
He didn't ask about BC, but there are some here that sure that think it's a measure of lethality.
Seasoned elk guides have written more than once the .338 does the job quicker than .308, and .308 does it quicker than .284 etc.
I believe em.

Considering the OP gave 3000 fps as velocity and said terminal performance I'm thinking distance doesn't matter. 3000 fps is 3000 fps when Considering terminal performance as that would imply impact velocity. Obviously if it was at muzzle the impact velocity would be different and terminal performance would differ from the start without even considering caliber.

Kris
Huh?? If you shot anything at point blank range the velocities should be as close together as they would ever be....once distance is entered into the equation the ballistics comes into play....bullet speeds drop....which means different 'terminal' ballistics....terminal damages.....if hit in same spot....

Huh?? If you shot anything at point blank range the velocities should be as close together as they would ever be....once distance is entered into the equation the ballistics comes into play....bullet speeds drop....which means different 'terminal' ballistics....terminal damages.....if hit in same spot....
I guess it's upto the OP if he's referring to all calibers having the velocity of 3000 fps at muzzle and wants to know terminal damage at a specific range or he's wanting to know terminal performance differences between the same caliber at any range as long as impact is 3000 fps.
Big difference between the two outcomes.

Kris

He didn't ask about BC, but there are some here that sure that think it's a measure of lethality.
Seasoned elk guides have written more than once the .338 does the job quicker than .308, and .308 does it quicker than .284 etc.
I believe em.
There I no measuring of "quicker". A 180 grain Accubond in .338 .308 and .284 (not made) will all have the same effect in ft/lbs if the are traveling at the same speed and the time of impact. I have seen deer drop dead from a .22-250 and run a 100 yards from a 12g slug, Size doesn't matter. I would an inference that a .284 bullet would penetrate better than a 338 bullet with the same weight and construction due to a higher sectional density and smaller sleeker bullet.

Dmagna, so I'm clear, you are saying higher sd will have better terminal performance, irrespective of frontal diameter?

I'm aware that the highest SD will come from the smallest diameter bullet of the same weight/design of the 3. Less diameter=more length to achieve the same weight.
Assuming penetration is adequate, among all, I don't know how the smallest hole created out of the 3 equates to best terminal performance.
In scientific numbers It's obvious the smaller diameter will penetrate the deepest, it has least resistance.
Terminal performance? Not the direct result of most penetration. SD- it's a catchy phrase for sure. A well constructed hunting bullet never lacks penetration anyhow.

Yep...Gel Test.....get on it Zen.....
Prove or disprove

Could just find the load of all three cartridges to correlate with the 3000'fps at muzzle...take a steel plate to a given yardage...then measure the dispursement(the impact area) on the steel.....

Can't do the test myself..because my 65284s shoot at 2950...my 280ai at 2900...and no 308 cal.....

Last edited: