2nd Thoughts -- Vortex Viper PST?

Hello all,

I'm just about to purchase a Bergara B14 Hunter in 7mm rem mag. I purchased a 1st generation Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP that has yet to be used. Needless to say, I'm questioning a few things about it.

Most notably, I am worried about how well it tracks, considering it is a "lower" end scope. Should I just run with it or should I sell and buy another optic? How can I test the tracking capabilities of it to ensure its accuracy?

Thanks in advance.
I own four PST scopes, Gen 1 and Gen 2, and one Razor. As others pointed out, this not a low end scope. The PST is #2 in the 5 tier Vortex line, just below the Razor. IMO, the used PST Gen 1 scopes are one of the best values out there right now: FFP, lighted reticle, and a lifetime warranty. If you doubt the tracking, do a box test and send it back to Vortex should it fail. Don't second guess your choice: you did well!

I have 2 Vortex 6x24x50 HST's. Both track well. One thing to watch is over tightening the rings and crushing tube. You may not of known you did if didn't torque to correct in. lbs.. then you can get tracking problems . I did it. They sent me a new scope even though you could see where it had dented in on top ring. The HST is on sale a lot on Midway. Around $439 to $469. I had a Vortex Strike Eagle 4x24x50 that had black pieces of whatever inside the lenses. The guy at Vortex told be to take two books and hit the scope in between. Lol. I did. Went away until I shot the rifle and they came back. Tried again and it screwed up the parallel adjustment . They sent a new scope. He said the prices of crud in the scope were comon on all scopes . I told him I've never had before in any scope. Also I myself think the scope tubes on Vortex are either thinner or not as hard as a Leupold.

I have two PST's. They both track well. Neither one of them has the reticle lined up perfectly with the top turrent. They both have a very narrow eyebox. Neither are impressive in low light. They have good resolution for the money, but they aren't "all that" in a hunting scope. I doubt if I will buy another. They are a great buy in a mid price target scope. I would certainly mount the scope and use it on the rifle if I already had it. I had a Bushnell Elite Tactical on a rifle I traded that was a much better scope IMO for about the same money. Purely a personal thing, everyone's eyes are different, but to my eyes, the reticle was much better on low power, the glass better, and low light was better. You never hear anything about them, guess no one else likes them. Mine tracked well, but I only had one.

[email protected]. I've used the Unertl 15x Ultra Varmit Scope on my hunting rifles, 6mm, and 22-250. My scopes are externally adjusted.As you can tell, I'm strictly a caring hunter. Old school definitely!!

Yes, that is how a tracking test works. There's many different ways of doing it, but yes, it's done by shooting and moving the scope and then moving it back to it's original settings, and seeing if you're still hitting int he same exact spot. If you are, then you're good to go.

Reading online is rough for folks just getting into guns or serious shooting. Lots of bad information out there that will make you 2nd guess your choices. Always do thorough research. Also, not all forums are equal...Some seem to be filled with more bullsh!t and unmitigated bias than others. Most folks here openly admit our biases, in order to give the most honest and helpful opinions to others.
"Most folks here openly admit our biases, in order to give the most honest and helpful opinions to others"

Do you even internet?!?

And the 6.5 Creedmoor is the greatest thing since sliced toast.
Just duct tape a Cap'n Crunch telescope to it and it will kill anything within a mile. Be careful shooting uphill because if you do somehow miss you might accidentally take out a satellite.

Seriously though, learned a lot here. Vast majority of guys express their opinions as opinions. Very rare.

1CFC4FC0-D757-4F5B-917E-41C17EB6D85C.jpeg
2E23C7BC-500C-451B-9BE0-75C116FF84D2.jpeg
1046B971-D1BD-491C-B15C-2A1FBF762FF4.jpeg
Hello all,

I'm just about to purchase a Bergara B14 Hunter in 7mm rem mag. I purchased a 1st generation Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP that has yet to be used. Needless to say, I'm questioning a few things about it.

Most notably, I am worried about how well it tracks, considering it is a "lower" end scope. Should I just run with it or should I sell and buy another optic? How can I test the tracking capabilities of it to ensure its accuracy?

Thanks in advance.

I think the Vortex Viper PST is the the best bang for the money. I can honestly vouch for the tracking of the scope. I purchased the Gen1 Viper PST 6x24x50 and put it on my Savage Stealth 6.5 Creedmoor. I had been studying on how to use the ballistic data and even started my own reloads for about a yr. I did not have anywhere to shoot at the time but the local WMA's which were only 100 yds. I was blessed one day while I was doing some work inside Daniel Defense. As I was leaving one of the guys there was showing off his new long range rifle and after talking with him he called this guy that owned a 1000 yd range and got me set up to go shoot that weekend. Of course everything wants to fall apart just before game day! The night before I found my scope base was loose on my rifle. I left the rings mounted to scope and just took the scope and rings off together. I put some loctite on and torqued the base screws down. Then remounted the scope and rings back on the base in the same location. So when I showed up the next morning at the range. I told the guy what happened and asked did he have some where I could resite in my scope. He only had berms at 400 yds and at 1000 yds. I explained that I had never shot over 250 yds in my life! Well he put some 3" orange clay pigeons out on the 400 yd berms. And this is the honest truth! I use my Kestrel wind meter and my Strelok app to get my dope. I dialed up to what the app said to and on the first shot I hit the clay pigeon. Of course I told him that was luck. I then made a few shots at a target and did pretty good. He then asked me if I wanted to try the 1000 yds. Well I was not very confident but I gave it a try. As you can see, my first 5 shots at a 1000 yds was with in a 10" group. Then the winds started picking up real bad and my next 2 shots were down at the bottom of the target.

I have recently joined a club with a 600 yd range with steel targets at 200, 300, 400, 500 and 600 yds. I have also purchased a Bagara BMP in the 6.5 Creedmoor and put a Night Force NXS 12x42x56 on it. And I can say my Savage with the Viper PST 6x24x50 is my favorite goto gun. And it tracks as good as my Night Force.

I have Vortex, Nightforce, Leopold, Burris (high end) and a couple Khales. Not bias like them all, however for the money, quality and expressively for the warranty I prefer the Vortex scopes. I really like the Khales but have sent two back. Broke a Nightforce after it was four years old and didn't get very far with warranty work! Dented a two year old vortex (gun rack broke off my ATV) had a brand new scope in three days free of charge! Wasn't bias, but am now! Plus the first responder/military discount cant be beat!!!

"Most folks here openly admit our biases, in order to give the most honest and helpful opinions to others"

Do you even internet?!?

And the 6.5 Creedmoor is the greatest thing since sliced toast.
Just duct tape a Cap'n Crunch telescope to it and it will kill anything within a mile. Be careful shooting uphill because if you do somehow miss you might accidentally take out a satellite.

Seriously though, learned a lot here. Vast majority of guys express their opinions as opinions. Very rare.
Crap! I use open sights on 6" targets up to two miles with my 6.5 Creedmoor!!!!

I own the scope you mention along with many other brands etc

It's a great scope for the money and I would t anticipate tracking issues with it until you confirm through a test

Only beef I have is like many ffp scopes the reticle is heavy at max magnification .
I wouldn't say it is a bench precision reticle

I have a few. Took one from my Merkel 308 and placed it on my CZ 22 WMR. Works great on each. Upgraded the 308 optics, didn't need to, just wanted to.
As said previously a tall target, shot three, mark the target. Change turret setting(s), repeat. Set back to CRS and it should be correct.
Take lots of notes. The more notes you can review later the better you will be in shooting up and down hill, 100 yards, 50 yards or 500 yards and when the snow comes early with confidence you will only need one round.

I've never used Vortex optics but I have put over 1200 rounds through my Bergara .308 suppressed and I have not had one presser or integrity issue. The only issue I've had with the Bergara is the finish they use will rust with just humidity. I'm having it cerakoted so that will take care of that issue.

Reading and viewing online info is very useful at first, but ensure you read/view several sources on the same topics, do not stop at . Find out what testing is recommended, get it from several sources, and then do your own. THEN read results and reviews and compare to YOUR results. IMHO this forum is one of the better ones, since most of the members come equipped with pretty good BS meters...……...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.