2nd Edition Suggestions

BryanLitz

<b>Official LRH Sponsor</b>
I'm looking ahead to the second edition of my book: Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting. It's always been the plan to test and publish BC data on more bullets. I would like to take requests about what additional bullets you guys would like to see tested and included in the next edition

Also, if there is any other material you would like to see covered, or existing material covered differently, please let me know. I won't be able to incorporate all suggestions, but I'll certainly try to work in the more popular subject matter.

Thanks for your assistance in improving this resource.

-Bryan

Last edited:
I red your first book and really liked it. I have always been interested in ballistics and that's the reason I would like to read more about it. I have red McCoy's book also and liked it too. I must still say that there is much I don't fully understand. I like your practical way to explain things.

If you will add something more than bullets tests, I would like to read your explanations (and approximation formulas if possible) about:

crosswind effects to vertical drift
wind gradient
bullet mass inbalance effect to accuracy
etc...

Bullet test could include:

1 all new long range bullets introduced after first edition.
2 GS custom bullets and some other extreme design solid bullets
3 Low weight high bc bullets from berger and JLK (maybe fitted to G6 or G8 drag function and higher speed region than 3000 fps)
4 40 gr. 22 cal. long rifle lead bullets (maybe fitted to RA4 or G1 function).

I would like to point out that there are many 'long range' 22 long rifle shooters who would be interested to get more accurate bcs.

I'm personally looking forward to see the next edition... Keep up the good work educating us shooters to world of ballistics.

Last edited:
It seems in many instances the larger the caliber the more consistent the ballistic performance. So....what about introduction into the 338/375/416 realm?

What about after market modifications to increase consistency such as meplat trimming and reforming for extreme long range consistency.

Just some thot's.....

Thanks for you commitment to the industry/sport/lifestyle.....

In the spirit of Jmdens comment, the bullet that Berger should start making is something like the 257 caliber 130gr Wildcat. This is a great bullet and as far as I can find there are no other comparable 257 bullets. Of course there are not many makers of 8 twist 257 barrels but once such bullets are available the barrel makers will come around.

I have a G7 for the 200 gr Wildcats that I use for ranges beyond 1500 yards and it seems pretty good, so it would be interesting to see what you find. At those kind of distances many people believe wind to be the chief issue but my findings are that the issue is the range finding. Very minor errors in range create large errors in drop values.

Last edited:
I'd like an analysis of ogive radius.
-How to determine it with mesurements from a couple datum points & NL & MD.
-It's affects on meplay trimming and BC.

Also like an analysis on
bearing surface variance & real world affects.
bullet CG, and it's affect on Sg.
dynamic stability(how to determine it if possible)
ballistic tips -vs- Sg
Base shape & muzzle pressures -vs- error moments on release
distance -vs- accuracy in parallax adjustments(even more here)
scope resolution from scope length -vs- eyepiece power(if boosted)

Just a few things I think about here & there..

I very much enjoyed your first book (Christmas present) I liked the way you put things in an understandable format(I'm 11 years old). I will be looking forward to the second edition. I would like information on 50 caliber bullets (750 grain A-max, 800 grain barnes borerider etc.), the new 7mm 180 grain sierra matchking http://www.sierrabullets.com/index.cfm?section=bullets&page=bc&stock_num=1980&bullettype=0, as well as the new hornady match line (285 grain 338, 225 grain 308 etc.) and the GS custom bullets from South Africa.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.