338 Build 2nd Opinions

jackem

Here is my reason for being on this forum. I've been around firearms all my 59 yrs and have the hearing loss to prove it. I grew up hunting on the family ranch where little skill was needed, served 8 years in the Marines and feel I'm an experienced spray and pray short range shooter.

However, I am determined to change that and learn what it takes to be accurate beyond the 600 yard range which I feel confident shooting now with my 264 mag. To that end I'm reading as much on here from the experienced long range shooters I can find.

Recently I purchased a NIB R700 MLR in 338 LM. The day after it arrived I forwarded it to Jered Joplin at American Precision Arms. The wait time is about over and Jered should start work on the rifle in June and get it back to me in July. Before that happens I'm wondering what I'm forgetting or if anything needs to be changed.

Here is what is slated to be done:

Rebarrel with a Broughton barrel in 1-9.3 twist & 28 inches
install a Fat Bastard muzzle break
true the action, lug, and bolt face
bed the action in the HS Precision stock that the rifle came with

I have a NF 5.5 - 22 with low Seekins Precision rings to mount on the rifle. I do not have a rail yet.

Gentlemen, Thanks for reading, please commence critiquing at will!

Jack

A Seekins rail with integral lug would be a great choice. Pin the rail and / or open the screws to 8-40, and bed the rail.

Tune the trigger, or replace it.

An anti cant device and angle cosine indicator are invaluable.

Thanks Grit

"A Seekins rail with integral lug would be a great choice. Pin the rail and / or open the screws to 8-40, and bed the rail."

I believe the R700p is tapped for 8-40 screws from the factory so it should be just a matter of bedding the rail. Please forgive my ignorance but what bedding material is recommended?

Thanks

Jack

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.