284 Winchester and 140 Absolute Hammer IN SHORT ACTION - Need Load Help

rem.xp100

I've been reading posts until my head started spinning but don't find data for a Plain Jane 284 Winchester in a SHORT ACTION using 140 grain Absolute Hammers. I can load a max length of 2.96 and still fit in my mag.

In the past, I ran RL17 and 168 Bergers at 2818 fps. Nice speed and accuracy but want to get away from the RL17 (temperature issues) and try the Hammers.

I've been playing with Quickload and thinking Ramshot Hunter or RL16. I have both on hand which is also important. I do have many other powders available as well. Looking for temperature stability in the powder too.

Please don't post loads you are using in a long action that I can't use in my rifle. It's a short action with a Wyatt box and that is my limiting factory so posting what you get by loading long doesn't help - that's just teasing.

Sorry I can't help with load data yet. But I have the exact same combo as you. Remington 700 SA with a Wyatt extended box. It's a switch barrel 6 dasher and a 284 win. I think it's going to work good, just need time to shoot it. Have 140 AH sitting here. Best thing to do is call hammer bullets and talk to Steve for powder recommendation. When I placed my order a few months ago, I believe he thought I should try Varget with the 140 AH in the 284 win. In the reloading section there's lots of load data that may help you decide on a powder. Good luck with load development and please post your results.

Thanks Beeman, I guess I need to give Steve a call. When I run Varget in Quickload I get WAY too high pressure numbers. Maybe from what I've read those numbers will not be correct using the AH in which case it would be a good choice. Maybe my time with Quickload is a waste and I have to go out into no man's land for these loads. I was just hoping for someone who has already been there done that with some good starting point.

I agree that Quickload probably won't work with the AH. I don't have it and have never used it so I'm just guessing. But the few AH I've tried definitely are different than conventional bullets. Hope it works for you. I need to find time to take off my dasher barrel and try the 284 Win. Waiting on a stock for a 280 AI build. Want to run the 140's in that one as well with H100V. There's reloading data on that one, so I should be ok.

The original load data that Bob Hutton wrote about used a 140 nosler partition with 57 gr of IMR 4350. That was back in 1963! I used that formula for my first 284 with 140 Sierra gamekings.

Later became aware that H4350 fit the case more easily and was also an extreme powder. I suggest you try it. As for charge weight with the solid copper hammer you may want to start low and work up to Hodgon's max of 57 grains.

Hi Beeman, I didn't forget about giving you an update. I sent an email to Steve/Brian asking about load data for the 140 AH and the 284 because I know they are busy and figured they could give me a quick reply when they got a chance rather than interrupt their day with a phone call but it's been two weeks now so I guess I'm not getting a reply by email.

I know it seems like its an interruption but do call, I've had great luck with getting ahold of them on the phone.

I did look over the AH load data, I assume the 284 win will fall somewhere between the 7mm-08 AI and the 280 AI. Folks do well with h100v in the 280 and seem to have some luck with CFE 223, PP 2000 MR with the 140's in the 7-08 ai. So just a guess but maybe edge towards the faster side of those powders since you have a SA. Maybe some H380, or H414/Win 760?

Last edited:
Hi Beeman, I didn't forget about giving you an update. I sent an email to Steve/Brian asking about load data for the 140 AH and the 284 because I know they are busy and figured they could give me a quick reply when they got a chance rather than interrupt their day with a phone call but it's been two weeks now so I guess I'm not getting a reply by email.
Thanks for the update. I would call them. They've always answered the phone and will answer all your questions. Great bullets and even better customer service. Not many places you can call and talk to the owners.

I called this morning and as you said, very nice to talk with and lots of info. First, Steve said he remembered my email and apologized because he thought he had replied. For the load data. He recommended a starting point of 48 grains of H4895 or 50 of IMR4895 - then go up from there. He said to look for a powder with 10 grains of growing room on capacity. Given I want temperature stability, the H is better than the IMR and I think I have one pound of it (hoping anyway) so I can give that a try.

Last edited:
Glad they got you a starting point. I'll have to look at a burn rate chart as I don't have either of those powders. Looking forward to your results.

@BEEMAN

Finally got a chance to test things again. Don't like to say anything if I only tried it once. So repeat trips to the range and I have settled on the following:

Rifle Spes - 284 Winchester SA 24" barrel 9T very small radial brake
Running a Wyatt box I am loading for a short action at 2.96" OAL
H4895 50.5 grains - not a hint of pressure and went farther but no need - gun likes this
140 gr Absolute Hammer bullet
Federal 210M primer
Virgin Norma brass = quick shot through the FL Redding sizer then very light inside chamfer
3127 avg FPS
STDEV 12
Groups size @ 100 yards - largest .62 smallest .32
Ran with G7 BC .225 out to 500 yards - would probably add an extra click to each of my numbers but good hits all the way out

Last edited: