280AI

The popularity of the 280AI seems to be growing. I decided to go with this chambering on a custom build to take advantage of the efficiency and the growing supply of components. Picked up a couple of hundred Peterson brass and continue to add to my supply of .284 pills to test. I like the ease of not having to fire form brass as well as reducing the need to trim brass with a 40 degree shoulder. Even though there is some factory ammo available, I am not sure I would go this direction, if I was not reloading.
Yep, after doing some research probably should have looked at the 280 AI instead of the 7mm PRC. But may get one anyway a very efficient cartridge.

I have a Savage UL in 280AI. I love the cartridge, the rifle comes to my shoulder well and I like the adjustability of comb and length, I like being able to carry it in the mountains without breaking my back, and the balance with a Harvestor EVO suppressor is pretty good but, the action is as smooth as a gravel road.

Buddy had the Savage Ultra-lite 280i. Bolt was as expressed earlier "like a gravel rd". I smoothed out that fluted bolt till it felt like butter when I opened and closed it, felt like a different rifle when he got it back, which he almost didn't after I fired it. Shot 162's reaaaaly well, on top of H1000.

Shot some 160 Accubond loads over H4831sc yesterday and I think I have an area the gun likes. These groups were at 300 yards with a decent crosswind around 10-12mph. I personally have only shot this distance less than a handful of times in my lifetime ( I know most will say 300…. That's nothing)🤣 but it is for me. Going to walk it out to 500 next week hopefully. Not sure why, and this happened at 100yds with some 140 AB's, but the best "groups" were the groups with higher than desired ES and SD…

Attachments

• IMG_0254.jpeg
    IMG_0254.jpeg
    292.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0253.jpeg
    IMG_0253.jpeg
    313.6 KB · Views: 40
Buddy had the Savage Ultra-lite 280i. Bolt was as expressed earlier "like a gravel rd". I smoothed out that fluted bolt till it felt like butter when I opened and closed it, felt like a different rifle when he got it back, which he almost didn't after I fired it. Shot 162's reaaaaly well, on top of H1000.
Inquiring minds want to know what to do to improve the feel. I thought about 800 grit lapping compound?...
I usually tweak the firing pin and cocking ramp but this bolt feel is the poorest Savage I've had.

You can buy a Timney Trigger for X-bolt and install it yourself for $150. But I do agree the factory trigger is probably the weak point of the X-bolt.

The new X-bolt 2 has supposedly addressed this and it has a lighter trigger.
All you need to do for the Xbolt is get a MCARBO trigger spring kit for $15. Half an hour work and it'll drop pull weight in half.

All you need to do for the Xbolt is get a MCARBO trigger spring kit for $15. Half an hour work and it'll drop pull weight in half.
I tried that. It's been some years so I don't remember exactly what it felt like but I ended up going with the Timney and have no regrets.

I don't have one, yet.
I noticed a couple here have the savage ultralight.
Is the 22" barrel sufficient for This caliber?
I've looked at the brownings and the savage long range hunter.
Trying to decide which rifle would be best for me.
Would y'all mind sharing what factory rifle you prefer in
280ai ?
Thanks
I'm shooting a Fierce Edge 280 Ackley with Leupold HD6 3x18 sitting on top. Loading Nosler AB 160 over 55 grain of h4831sc with fed 210m primers. The group is .344 at 100 pleasant to shoot, don't need to push harder I just let the bullet do the work.