280AI question

Setting up an Ackley isn't hard, you just don' know what you're doing and trying to learn on the internet!
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Everyone has to learn at some point. But I guess you were an expert right away, I'm not as lucky.

Good thing I ask for help when I know I need it. Thought these forums were for asking for help.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Everyone has to learn at some point. But I guess you were an expert right away, I'm not as lucky.

Good thing I ask for help when I know I need it. Thought these forums were for asking for help.

They are. Sharing info as well as asking for and offering advice.

One thing is that if one isn't sure it might be best to ask before one buys parts or whatever for a project. Just curious if the barrel maker offered any assistance, or was asked for any.

I asked and researched it a lot prior to ordering the barrel. I've installed a few other barrels since this one with absolutely no issues but they were 'standard' ones (ie not an ackley or anything like this).

It'll be my last Ackley and I'm seriously thinking of just converting it to the Sherman. Better performance and none of the hassle.

Thanks

Last edited:
put some tape on the end of the AI go-gage, +0.0015" and was light resistance to close. +0.003" and wouldn't close.

Yes! Finally CjC73 hit the nail on the head!
Use a piece of scotch tape on the bolt contact end of the 280AI SAAMI Go Guage. Trim the excess tape from around the edges. This gives you a 280 AI NO GO. This gives 2-3 thou of headspace.
Typically there is 4 thou difference between a Go & NO GO gauge.

I didn't read every post in the thread so apologies if I am rehashing ...

By definition an "AI" chamber can safely shoot the original/parent case. This means you should be able to safely chamber and fire a 280 Rem in a 280 Rem AI chamber ... and they are almost always amazingly accurate even with shooting the non AI parent in the AI rifle. Therefore - a 280 Rem Go guage will not suffice as a no-go guage for either a 280 Rem or 280 Rem AI.

I have a 260 AI ... I used the 308 go and no go guages for headspacing - it works perfect. I'd check with a smith to be sure but you should be able to use 280 Rem/270win/30-06/25-06/etc go and no go guages to headspace your 280 AI. If not then I suggest to be safest, get your hands on 280 Rem AI go/no go guages.

BTW - I have many times for my own personal use/rifles, used a go guage as a no go guage by adding 5-6 thou of additional length ... electrical tape can work very well for this for a very limited # of bolt closes (2-4). Take this for what it is worth and at your own risk - be cautious ...
Sorry your gunsmith is incorrect. Ackley chsmbers are supposed to be .004" tighter. That is why some people use the standard GO guage as a no Go. The reason is that cases are always slightly shorter to the shoulder datum ned before firing and by tightening the headspace .004" it allows the case to have a slight crush or interference fit. If you use standard guages you are basically setting your headspace to Field tolerances

Sorry you are incorrect. Ackley chsmbers are supposed to be .004" tighter. That is why some people use the standard GO guage as a no Go. The reason is that cases are always slightly shorter to the shoulder datum ned before firing and by tightening the headspace .004" it allows the case to have a slight crush or interference fit. If you use standard guages you are basically setting your headspace to Field tolerances

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.