280AI barrel life, if....

some powders burn cooler than others, for example, N160, HV100, and H1000. AA2700 for the 120 and 140

Accuracy is a relative term. Original throat length has a big part in the picture.

1000 rounds for .500" accuracy is a good guess, but that is a guess. If the chamber reamer used had .199 or longer throat to begin with, then all bets are off.

Last edited:
Ok gunsmiths!
How many rounds can a 280AI be shot before the barrel starts it's demise?
Assume on a trued R700 action:
1 the barrel is not smokin hot, say 5 rounds and cool, max
2 the handload is capable of 500-600 yards accuracy
3 maintaining a max book load or less
4 shooting for target work (for me) and grandkid loads for deer. 130-168 grain anything
5 barrel is a Proof SS pencil barrel, 26", 8.4 twist, for packing into high country, plus a brake
6 rifle in build stage, but seeing loads with H4831, Re22, Re23, Re26 H1000 some shooting magnum primers, some on BR primers. Your choice here...
7 want repeatable results with reasonable loads on elk (rarely) and deer or smaller.
I know, "variables". But think along one load you like, what is the life expectancy if this barrel is taken care of, really well...

Barrel life depends on many things so there is no real number.

Things that can effect barrel life are normally the Barrel quality, barrel size (this can effect the heat absorption), Twist rate, load pressure, type of powder, number of consecutive shots with out cooling, Velocity, type of bullet, cleaning method and more.

Barrels pushed hard will normally last between 300 and 2,000 rounds down the bore. Rifles that are well maintained and loaded with moderate loads normally last much longer if all the other things mentioned are managed.

My 308 match rifle has over 23,000 rounds through it and it still shoots 1/2 MOA with iron sites, but it was never abused and it was/is well taken care of. The throat is a little worn, but accuracy has not been effected.

J E CUSTOM

Look up, excel barrel life, or just rifle barrel life. I have an excel spread sheet that came off a bullet manufacturers page. It is an excel sheet I believe. I shoot super light loads in a .223 and .308 with Tite Group and lubed jacketed bullets at under 18,000 to 4,000 psi it has me into the 1,000,000s of rounds. I can still put 50 grain and 125 grain TNTs in the same hole at 25 yards benched, indoors. I do not mean touching, i mean no visible drift. So the barrel is shooting as if it was brand new and I have only taken one shot. You input caliber, guesstimate the pressure, though it sounds like you are using pre-pressured loads so the printed material is pretty close. Hogdons manual is great for this. Add in velocity and whether you moly or not and it will give you the estimated life. This is another tricky part, as what is barrel life to me shooting off hand at 25 to 100 yards or a person shooting benched at 1,000 or more yards, is very different.

I have a barrel life program that is reasonably accurate
What is your powder, load, pressure if known and are you coating your bullets?
Rifle is still in build at the gunsmith. Normally (after a hard lesson with pressure), I will not exceed max book numbers. If I do, I will find another powder/primer combo. Primarily using this for trigger time for me and as a pack gun. Grandkids will use it with lighter bullet/ powder charges where I hit a good accuracy node. I'm anal about cleaning and keeping a barrel "cool". The barrel is a sporter Proof. This rifle is set up the same as my 7RM, same scope, trigger, length and just about 1 1/2 pounds lighter. Estimated...

Not only the ramrod hit the target, the bullet hit 2" low and left. We dug chunks of brass from the ramrod out of the target frame...he got a nice scope cut on his nose. Priceless.....I framed his target, and displayed in his office.
Glad getting scoped was the only injury.
Awareness so important around fireams.
Almost did the ramrod trick myself but caught myself in the nick of time!

My
7 mm RM lasted 1,600 rounds; Barrel: Remington 40X heavy (pig) contour
6.5 Remington Magnum lasted 2,200 rounds; Barrel: Shaw Remington Varmint Contour
6.5-06 lasted 1,792 Barrel: Kreigher light Palma Contour
.308 Win lasted 6,002 Barrel: Kreigher heavy (pig) Contour
Lots of variables to consider. I shot the crap out of these barrels, contuning to shoot most past their accuracy life and pulled them when the:
7mm RM started blowing up SMK at 200 yards;
6.5 Remington Magnum not stay on an 8.5X11 target at 200 yards;
6.5-06 started blowing up SMK at 600 yards (shot another 100 Nosler partitions at 100 yards for grins & giggles because i had them)
.308 Win when it would not hold the 8 ring at 600 yards (F-Class).
Some of these went from 2 inches to nothing within the last 50 rounds. Others were more gradual.

However, I have a buddy that will pull a barrel if it goes from .2 to .5 inch groups. So there is what do you consider 'shot-out'.

Good luck

Jerry

My
7 mm RM lasted 1,600 rounds; Barrel: Remington 40X heavy (pig) contour
6.5 Remington Magnum lasted 2,200 rounds; Barrel: Shaw Remington Varmint Contour
6.5-06 lasted 1,792 Barrel: Kreigher light Palma Contour
.308 Win lasted 6,002 Barrel: Kreigher heavy (pig) Contour
Lots of variables to consider. I shot the crap out of these barrels, contuning to shoot most past their accuracy life and pulled them when the:
7mm RM started blowing up SMK at 200 yards;
6.5 Remington Magnum not stay on an 8.5X11 target at 200 yards;
6.5-06 started blowing up SMK at 600 yards (shot another 100 Nosler partitions at 100 yards for grins & giggles because i had them)
.308 Win when it would not hold the 8 ring at 600 yards (F-Class).
Some of these went from 2 inches to nothing within the last 50 rounds. Others were more gradual.

However, I have a buddy that will pull a barrel if it goes from .2 to .5 inch groups. So there is what do you consider 'shot-out'.

Good luck

Jerry
Thanks, this is useful info. I keep good round counts on my rifles now. Plan on getting the lyman borescope for the many obvious reasons. Keeping track of forward movement of lands. This rifle will get more rounds down the tube than my 7RM for trigger time, hunting, fun. Plus Jr. Hunts for the grandkids. Rebarreling doesnt bother me. But I have a good idea now from all the comments above when and where the groups may start opening up. Can't wait till I get it back from the smith.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.