280AI Powder Choices

Trappernewt

I read until my eyes hurt in the search and can't find any definitive answers to my question. I've found lots of info for powders that are impossible to find but next to nothing on common or some hat common powders I have. I plan to shoot 168 or 180 VLD which the rifle is chambered for. I have Retumbo and H1000. But can find hardly any data for it on a place to start.

Hodgdon has load data for .280 AI and Retumbo with 168s and 175s. Hornady load data lists 175s and 180s together so start charges are where I would go with the 180s.

Only powders I have used in my 280 AI are RL26 (go to powder) N565 and H4831sc. Instead of forcing it to like a powder why not get a pound of H4831sc and give it a spin? You can find it pretty easy and it does well in mine. Just not the speed of RL26. 😬 N565 does well too, but it is a bit hard to find.

Sorry I should have specified that I'm looking for more of user experience with these powders. And everything I have read only gives good results with Reloader 23 and 4831-sc for the most part
I believe ya!!!!!

I've had the same discovery about the boring old .270 Winchester (different but not really, very similar case volume to bore diameter ratio to your 280 ai) so many manuals and so much of what's shared by fellow reloaders about their own experience stops at the 4831/rl22 burn rate…and in my experience thats just when things are starting to get good.

in my 270 experience, take it however you will, especially with bullets of 150 and heavier (includkng the 180 grain woodleigh weldcor), imr7828ssc and rl25 have the potential to be among the top performers. they may be right beside each other on the chart but i find rl25 notably slower burning, BUT its also denser

i think h1000 would be perfect for you…retumbo probably slower than ideal.

RL powders are mostly "not available". H1000 is difficult to buy & pricy.
Try Staball HD. It works very well in my 6.5-06 loads with 140 grain bullets. Hodgdon data for Staball HD is available for .243 Win and others. I started my 6.5-06 loads with Staball HD using similar loads as H1000. Use a magnum primer. Should get fill amounts of 95% & more.

if it's throated deep enough and the correct twist for 180's you're going to need double base powder like RE23, RE26. I don't have experience with VIHT powders.
H4831SC will not get you much speed compared to double base powder. So pay attention to minimum velocity for expansion if you go that heavy.
If 168 class, it's better velocity. You would have to make decisions on what is most important. "X" distance at "Y" expansion velocity for both bullets. At least you'll know how far you can theoretically get a bullet to perform for hunting (without wind).

I read until my eyes hurt in the search and can't find any definitive answers to my question. I've found lots of info for powders that are impossible to find but next to nothing on common or some hat common powders I have. I plan to shoot 168 or 180 VLD which the rifle is chambered for. I have Retumbo and H1000. But can find hardly any data for it on a place to start.
My Berger manual shows a .280 Rem 168 that you can use as a baseline with H1000 - 24" barrel 3.33" COAL - start 52g (2432 FPS) and max 57.8g (2750 FPS, 105%). Contact Berger Tech Support for their .280 AI recommendations for the 168 and 180.
Sorry I should have specified that I'm looking for more of user experience with these powders. And everything I have read only gives good results with Reloader 23 and 4831-sc for the most part
Every rifle is different; load for what your rifle likes, i.e., I have 3 .300 WMs, and they all have different loads. Good luck!