280 Rem to 28 Nosler

setter

Novice question: I'm considering rechambering a 280 Rem to 28 Nosler. Two questions, do you have to take the barrel off to do this (it's a custom barrel chambered by a reputable smith)? The reason I ask is I was hoping to not have to re-bed. Any issues with opening up the bolt face for the 28 Nosler or would I need a new bolt?

You're .280 boltface is wrong. You need a magnum boltface. Also, I would recommend using a Ultramag action so the feed rails are correct...

Tony.

So I guess that's a definite no on enlarging the bolt face and a 'possibly' on the rechambering. It's a Rem 700 LA, and the barrel is a Bartlein #4 contour.

Upon re-reading, sounds like it might be too much trouble. I will see if can come up with a more suitable doner action.

So I guess that's a definite no on enlarging the bolt face and a 'possibly' on the rechambering. It's a Rem 700 LA, and the barrel is a Bartlein #4 contour.

To a competent gunsmith, this would not be a difficult job, and is a very common job. Opening the bolt face and the feed rails is not a big deal. However, it would be best to start out with a magnum action, since the only thing that would need to be changed is the barrel, and opening the feel rails.

I'd say go buy cheap used magnum BDL, and keep your .280 action as well, and build you a custom on it later. A paid-for 700 action is a paid-for 700 action. As long as it sits in your safe, it's not going to go bad...They don't have an expiration date. :cool:

The bolt face will need an M-16 extractor and a little work on the feed rails. You will also need an ultra mag box to feed correctly. Pulling the barrel is a non issue. There is no reason to set it back so the barrel timing will be exactly as it is now. On your gun this whole thing is about a $250-$300 job and you don't have to have 2 guns.

The bolt face will need an M-16 extractor and a little work on the feed rails. You will also need an ultra mag box to feed correctly. Pulling the barrel is a non issue. There is no reason to set it back so the barrel timing will be exactly as it is now. On your gun this whole thing is about a $250-$300 job and you don't have to have 2 guns.

The M16 extractor is not a necessity. None of my 700's have ever had an extraction problem and thats thousands upon thousands of rounds. But everyone's experiences differ.

Yes, I forgot the RUM mag box. That is also a necessity.

He doesn't have to have 2 guns...But 2 guns is always better than one.

The bolt face will need an M-16 extractor .........

Would you explain why a standard bolt face can't be opened up and a new magnum size riveted extractor installed. A couple months ago I asked another reputable gunsmith to do this on a Surgeon bolt and he wouldn't do it. He said he would only install an M-16 style extractor after he opened them up.

There is a relief under the lip of the bolt nose that the factory extractor resides in. The problem with trying to duplicate it is it's not round. No way to cut the relief right with common tooling.

A knee mill would do the job but the cutter would most likely be a custom made piece. A guy would have to dissect a factory bolt to get the radius of that part right. It might even be round but when changing them I get the impression it is not perfectly round. Do you have a magnum bolt you are willing to donate to science?

After all that I would never use it. I don't really like factory 700 extractors. Just one fleck of brass in the wrong spot and you are out of business. If it's a 721 they are getting about impossible to find.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts