280 Rem for elk

meatyrem

I know that a 280 will work for elk and I have posted about the 280 before on different loads but what I am interested in knowing is what are your thoughts about bullet weights?
I have other elk rifles that will be better suited but my buddy who will possibly go with me doesn't want to use a shoulder breaker like my 300 ultra or 7mm ultra so I said he could use my 280. I have a good load in 140 accubond with H-4831sc grouping around .25 inch and about 2950 fps. Will this load work for elk with a careful shot?
I was thinking of moving up to 160 accubonds and wanting to know if it would be much of a difference moving up 20 grains of weight or just stick with the 140 gr. I don't have a problem with moving up to the 160's but I would like to know what some good loads would be for this. I have H-4831sc, H1000, superformance, I don't have RL-22 but can get some as I feel it would be a good performer too.
Rifle: M700 CDL 24" stock
What do you think: Stay with the 240's or move up to the 160's?

140 gr at 2950 ft/sec is more than sufficient for Elk WHEN placing the projectile in the boiler room, especially inside 300 yrds, which is where 90%+ of shots occur for Elk. Neither 140 or 160 are my first choice, but more than sufficient to ethically take Elk. Shot placement with ANY projectile is key!!!

Totally agree, 140 grn Accubond would be just fine, thats what I used in my 270 win.

If it was your sole rifle and wanted to use if for both elk and deer, I might have suggested go with the 160 AB for long term. But it's just not worth putting together another load, the 140 will work great.

I killed a pile of elk over the years with 140 gr. speer btsp out of my 280. I wouldnt hesitate to run the 140 accubond, however, i would keep my shots under 400 yards personally.

I was thinking that it shouldn't matter too much as its only 20 grains difference. I have some more loads to test yet and also have other powders to try as well. The only thing is this load set was the first to be tested and came together really well. With 58.5gr of H-4831sc 140ab 210 fed coal-3.38" puts me at 2950 and a small little bug hole. This should provide for some good penetration and tissue damage within a reasonable range.
Thanks to all for the input and more is appreciated too as I am always willing to hear additional info.

Lilharcher: when you said "neither the 140 or 160 are my first choice" what do you mean by that? Is there another that would be over those two?

I have killed several elk with a 280 and 140 Barnes X with no additional excitement. This load was a very sedate 2800 fps. Longest was a little over 300 yards. It is a fine cartridge for medium range.

I think I will stick with this load but also may be good to find some other combos just for fun. Also I can use some other loads in my other 280 Rem. It's funny because sometimes I feel that I'd like to add another 280 rem to my collection just for S&G because I feel you can't have too many 280 rems

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.