280 or 30-06 for Elk

I hate to say this but I've only made one post think the # was 12. and it was to
midgetorama32 and I never e-mail anyone.

before we let this thread get off track remember we are talking 280 or 30-06 for a mans rebarrel.

I have seen alot of great point's and maybe a few not so great by me now that I look back.

Best of luck in your decsion. Please keep us up to date Im guessing it will be a last minute choice.

jon

midgetorama32

The 7mm has an advantage over 30 cal, comparable BC's with lighter bullets. Both the 280 Rem and the 30-06 will work well on elk. just use a good bullet and put it where it needs to go.

Since you are reloading, consider the 280 AI. Great cartridge that steps on the heels of the 7mm Rem Mag with less powder burned. I get 3000 fps with a 160 gr AB out of a 24" barrel 280 AI and it is more than enough to cleanly take elk at 600 yds. You can also shoot factory 280 Rem in the 280 AI.

JD338

I think the 280AI would be my pick as far as high BC bullets are concerned,we don't have elk downunder so i can't comment on how well either caliber or the VLD's would work on them but....i was sent a video on a guy taking a bull elk at 925yards with a 140gr vld out of a 6.5-284.It only took a few steps.Good luck mate.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.