Elk bullet with 30-06

The Oregonian

I have a load that shoots sub .5 MOA groups when I do my job. It is a 30-06 from Darrell Holland on his action (essentially a Borden) with a 24" barrel.

The only load I have used so far is for Nosler BT 180gr for deer. I am going cow elk hunting in August and want a more controlled expansion bullet. I am debating going with a ABLR 190gr or 180AB.

The 180AB may involve minor tweaking but should be similar to current load. My shots on the cow elk could range from 200 to 500 yds...if I put the shot where it counts it may not matter between ABLR and AB but wanted to get some opinions.

Thx

i just got a 30-06 back in the stable, and thinking about what bullets are currently out there. It's a Ruger #1 so no magazine to limit bullet seating.

The 200 grain bullets have always worked well for me, especially the Accubond. If they shoot, I see no reason the 190 or 210 LRAB won't work, but then again I have Berger's 185-215 on the shelf already.

I always have monster black bear on my mind, and where seasons overlap the 200+ bullets are usually where I end up in .30 calibers.

I have a load that shoots sub .5 MOA groups when I do my job. It is a 30-06 from Darrell Holland on his action (essentially a Borden) with a 24" barrel.

The only load I have used so far is for Nosler BT 180gr for deer. I am going cow elk hunting in August and want a more controlled expansion bullet. I am debating going with a ABLR 190gr or 180AB.

The 180AB may involve minor tweaking but should be similar to current load. My shots on the cow elk could range from 200 to 500 yds...if I put the shot where it counts it may not matter between ABLR and AB but wanted to get some opinions.

Thx

I like the performance of the Ballistic tip and love the performance of the Accubond for hunting.

I have not tried the LR Accubonds for hunting (No Need) because of the performance of the other bullets on game.

The 180 grain would also be my choice of bullet weights for Elk using a 30/06.

J E CUSTOM

I like the performance of the Ballistic tip and love the performance of the Accubond for hunting.

The 180 grain would also be my choice of bullet weights for Elk using a 30/06.

J E CUSTOM

JE - Would you prefer the AB to the BT for elk? Seems like you have good experiences with both in 180gr but just want to make sure I understand your preference.

Thx

JE - Would you prefer the AB to the BT for elk? Seems like you have good experiences with both in 180gr but just want to make sure I understand your preference.

Thx

I used to use the ballistic tip for longer shots because they still expanded well (Un like other bullets)

When Nosler came out with the Accubond I tried them at short distance first and then started stretching the distance out and they seemed to be very consistent at all yardages no mater where the shot placement. (Very dependable). I even sectioned both bullets to try and see any difference.

The only difference I could fine was the bonded jacket. this would explain why the Accubond expanded well at lower velocities (Same jacket thickness) but held together at ultra high velocities because of bonding.

I still use the ballistic tip in some rifles because they don't make the Accubond in the weight the rifles like (I use a 120 Bt in some of the slower 7mms to gain velocity and it has a thicker jacket than the 140 Bt).

On Elk I would recommend the Accubond because of the range of shots you might encounter.

Ether bullet will not fail you if you do your part.

J E CUSTOM

Personally I would not change bullets over a cow elk, I see more problems guys changing thinking they need to change their whole program over one elk, in a 30-06 the 180 Ballistic tip will crush an elk behind the shoulder, the 180 Accubond will make a lesser wound channel and I've seen them barely open, neither bullet is adequate to shoot an elk in the shoulder. We've converted everything over from 308 to 300 Win mag to using the 215 Berger, as good as it gets for elk whackn!

the 180 gr BT is known to be a very good elk bullet......the 180 s have a heavier jacket than 165 gr and down

doubt you would gain much switching to any other bullet or even the same weight accubond

What is the twist rate of your rifle some 30-06 are 1 in 11 or 12? The LRAB is long and you may have difficulty stabilizing in something other than a 1 in 10 twist.

From the data I have seen Nosler tested the 190 and 210 LRAB in a 1 in 10. A 1 in 12 will probably stabilize a 180 I don't know about longer heavier bullets.

The 180 NAB will probably shoot pretty much into the same hole as the NBT. That would be a no brainer.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

the 180 gr BT is known to be a very good elk bullet......the 180 s have a heavier jacket than 165 gr and down

doubt you would gain much switching to any other bullet or even the same weight accubond

That is especially true with the newer thick Jacketed 180 BT, much tougher than in thje past.

I have to agree. The new 180gr BT that I sectioned is a good looking bullet. The way they should have been all along. Even at that,the old ones were still pretty good at 06 velocities. I have had those old BTs go to crap on me in the 300 Win mag though.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.