30-06 Elk loads

The 200 gr Accubond shoots good in every 30-06 I have tried it in so far (8). It was the only bullet a Sauer lightweight I used to have would shoot and it shoots really well in my Steyr

200AB61RL22.jpg

I hunt Elk with larger calibers and have only shot one deer with that load. However I would not hesitate to take that load Elk hunting.

Woods your post with that load on reloadersnest got me looking at that load. No other combination of bullets and powder I could match it especially in down range energy and wind drift. According to the Alliant reloading guide the new RL17 powder is just over 50 FPS faster in a 22" test barrel. I was hoping to duplicate your ballistics with my rifle for my hunt this fall. It is over 2000lbs KE at 500 yards at my altitude of 8800 ft elevation.

i tried some 168ttxs in my 06 last year, thought i might have to take it elk hunting. shot very well out of my "stock" 700 going over 2950 using H414. i've worked up loads in 3, 06's and H414 worked best in all three.

Great information been working on a load using a 180 speer or sierra bullet, hard
to find other bullets in this area.
open for ideas on the 180 in the 06.........

I've done some experimenting with the Barnes tipped 168gr tsx in my 30-06. In my rifle (savage 110fp) I used regular remington primers, lapua brass and IMR 4350. I worked my way up in half grain increments to the point where it was a very compressed load and couldn't get any more powder in the case. I was getting 3000 fps 10 feet from the muzzle and needless to say it was a flat shooting bullet at that speed. I was getting good hunting accuracy out of that load. I never measured the groups, but it was good enough for target shooting out to 1000 yards.

I cannot find the 200 Accubonds anywhere. Anyone know where some might be hiding?

teddy12b, have you shot any animals with that load yet? If so, how did it perform?

Last edited:
I just got some 200 grain accubonds from Cabelas via mail order and the local Wheeling Cabelas had some in stock also.

i tried some 168ttxs in my 06 last year, thought i might have to take it elk hunting. shot very well out of my "stock" 700 going over 2950 using H414. i've worked up loads in 3, 06's and H414 worked best in all three.

I have good luck with H414 as well. 55.5 grs behind 165 gr Barnes did a number on the bull I shot last year. That particular load of H414 with 55.5 grs shot well in both my Winchester 06' and my Remington 06'. Maybe I just lucked out or found a sweet load but either way thats the one I am sticking with.

I got to try out RL17 and a 200 grain accubond. My best velocity was 2730 with 54 grains of powder. Accuracy was best at 53.5 at around 5/8 inches groups, velocity was down to 2684. It was very windy here in western PA today so I need to verify my groupings under better conditions. Recoil was stout compared to the 168 grain NBTs I shot earlier. If the accuracy holds up when I practice again I will use the Accubonds for my hunt this fall. My rifle was a 22" Savage 116.

Last edited:
last week I got to chrongraph some load using R-17 and I was not impressed in the 30-06. I started around 2500fps worked up to a max of 54.5gr with 180gr bullet @2790fps with 165gr bullet @2714fps. It works pretty good for my 270WSM with 150gr bullet @ 3126fps.

Tom you are nearly spot on the Speer manuals velocity at max 54.5 grains. I have been very close to the speer manuals FPS with max charges but I have found that when I compare RL17 vs other powders based on pressure signs the RL17 has higer velocities.

I also tested 168 grain Nosler BTs at 3010 with 59grains RL 17. That is the first load I have managed to outperform the Hornady Light Mags with in my rifle. RL 22 delivered best velocities for me until I tried RL17 and it seems to be approx 75 fps faster from 168 thru 200 grains. This BT load may be my whitetail load next fall.

Savage, my loading data is from Alliant and my 180gr max load is 18fps over published velocity and the 165gr max load is 160fps less than published data (2874fps). I'm not into going over max loads even if it's safe measuring CHE and I don't chase velocity. I'll chonograph after I get a load but I'll chronograph my work up loads and the load I'm using for the 270WSM is 1/2gr below max. and it pretty close to some of my other loads.

Normally in some of my hunting rifles that have been rebarrel I can get 100fps plus more than published velocity best I've done is 165fps but I added 2" more barrel and thats with a published load. Max loads for the 168gr with R-17 is 56gr @ 2980fps your 3grs over max @ 3017fps interesting.

Tom I was mistaken when I typed Speer manual I dont know where that came from. I was looking at the Alliant website. I did not see any pressure signs and my primers at min charge and 3 grains over where nearly identical. No sticky bolt lift. I stopped working up because the velocities told me I had to be pushing the envelope a bit.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts