.30-06 110gr factory loads - Thoughts?

blue9

What do you guys think about running this light of a factory load through an A-Bolt .30-06? I'm a rookie here, so go easy on me. Looks like Federal Premium boxes a 110gr Barnes Tipped TSX. Federal's ballistics look ridiculous on paper; basically turns the .30-06 into a meaner, flatter, harder punching 243/25/260, Almost seems too good to be true; depending on ammo, that one gun becomes two. I'm missing something, right? Yeah, yeah, I know I should get a 243/25/260 if that's what I want to shoot, but humor me for a few minutes.

If you get good accuracy with them in your rifle, then it might be a decent varmint load out to some given range. You'll just have to develop a drop chart and windage to determine the sweet spot.

If they aren't accurate in your rifle, then it's all moot.

-- richard

What do you want to do with your 06? I've loaded the 110 grain V Max's in my 300 WSM for rabbits and prairie dogs and it just mists them. I've wanted to try them on coyotes too but I've just decided to shoot my hunting loads at everything to get real world practice. My cousin is running the 165 grain Hornady Superformance load out of his 06 and loves it.

I personally feel the 150-165 grain bullets are the best bullets for an 06 but it's cause I've seen a lot of guns shoot them very well and they seem to kill everything they're pointed at.

thanks guys. Was running the Hornady 150gr LM a few yrs back and now the 150 Super Performance SST thru the A-Bolt .30-06; it loves both of these factory loads.

I use it mainly for white tail that average 150lbs and out to 300-400yds (looking to increase but doing that at the range, not in the field). One of my buddies swears by his 243wssm, which got me thinking about picking up a smaller caliber rifle (the subject of my next topic!). The grass is always greener. Until I figure that out, I came across this TTSX 110gr factory load, but read a lot of complaining about accuracy, etc., b/c of lower BC than what's out there in a similar bullet for, say, a proper 243/25-06/260.

That 150 grain SST load is going to be just fine killing whitetails out to 400 yards. I love having smaller calibers to shoot because they are cheaper and the recoil is not a factor, but when I hunt I usually go up to my bigger guns.

My first rifle was the 30-06 and I still have her. Versatile round and will fill the bill on most game animals on this continent. Realistically I would use the 110 for varmints and the 150-165 for whitetail. The 110 bullet will leave you a little on the slim side at longer ranges and windy conditions, something I don't think you want to happen when old mossy horn comes walking by. Now the 110 bullet if it will shoot accurately in your rifle will give a pretty dang good rifle for vermin.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.