280 and 300 Sherman...

What all calibers are you making a Sherman modification in? How do they differ from say an Ackley version?

What all calibers are you making a Sherman modification in? How do they differ from say an Ackley version?

They are based on the 270 or 280 case to take advantage of the length. They have less body taper and the shoulder is farther forward than the A.I. which increases capacity considerably and makes for even less case stretching than the Ackley. I shot Ackleys for several years before I created the Sherman case. They are a good design but leave performance on the table compared to the Sherman......Rich

Rich - the 300 Sherman sounds more awesome every time I hear about it... I may have to add one to the collection sometime!

Well from what I read (so no experience whatsoever) the Ackley gets about 100-150 fps faster in the .223 casing. Would you get much more performance with your Sherman type modification in a case that small? Would that make the neck too short?

Well from what I read (so no experience whatsoever) the Ackley gets about 100-150 fps faster in the .223 casing. Would you get much more performance with your Sherman type modification in a case that small? Would that make the neck too short?

I am not sure what the dimensions are on the A.I. version, but I doubt you would see more than 50' with the Sherman unless you made the neck shorter than it should be. I would have to do more research.....Rich

I don't see the need for something of that nature...
Its a problem looking for a solution....
unless, you want something that's beyond different.

Cheaper brass, no belt issues, possibly better barrel life, that's a few advantages I can think of currently... Any more you can think of Rich? Doing it to a .223 though as previously mentioned, I don't see a point other than being different...

Cheaper brass, no belt issues, possibly better barrel life, that's a few advantages I can think of currently... Any more you can think of Rich? Doing it to a .223 though as previously mentioned, I don't see a point other than being different...

In order to REALLY improve something, you have to have the right parent case to start with. The 223 does not have enough neck, IMO, to move forward enough to gain much case capacity. You could blow out maybe .005" more taper, but the benefit would be negligible ........Rich

The only reason I asked is that I will be picking up a Remington 700 Varmint in .223 this week and was thinking after I shoot a few thousand through it, maybe rebarreling into a .223 AI. Plus, no matter how much I read and assume, with the collective knowledge and experience you guys have, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.