280 Ackley.......heavy bullets?

Supertrucker

I've always been a "light for caliber" guy in all my rifles. My .280 Ackley is scary accurate with the bullets I've tried (120 BT's & 140 AB's). I want to use one bullet for all my hunting, deer 90%, antelope when I can draw, black bear when I see one and elk on rare occasion. Would using say a 150 Scirocco or 160 Accubond "handicap" the .280 Ackley?? I know both bullets listed have great BC's.

My dad and I each have a 280 Ackley. We are both shooting the 168 bergers. I don't think it would handicap you at all..in fact I think it would help. I looked into trying the 140 bergers this summer, but with the lower BC, we couldn't push them fast enough to make up the energy difference to the 168's once you hit 400-500 yards.

I shot 2 elk this year with them at very close range, and they performed great. Have shot at total of 5 deer and 4 antelope over the last 2 years with them also..all one shot kills.

Drake4 - Out of curiosity, what are your 168VLD loads and what kind of velocity are you getting? Are you jamming or jumping them in your rifles? I'm working up loads now for a new 280AI with a 24" barrel. I've got some decent loads for 140 and 160 Accubonds, and am just now starting on the VLD's.

Thanks,
Kevin

I'm not going to fault you guys for using the Bergers, but I will pass. They shot great in my 7 STW, but they are not what I'm looking for in a hunting bullet. I'd rather stick to a tougher bullet where I can take that less than best shot if need be and know it will get the job done cleanly.

Kevin-
We are both using H4831SC (58.0 grains)..mine is seated .01 of the lands and I think my dad's is .02 (could be off on his). With the 4831 I am getting around 2835 fps. I also had a load using RL-22 where I was reaching 2915 fps with no pressure signs. Accuracy is right around .5 MOA out to 700 yards with the short cut..that's is far as we've tested so far.
I'm going to play with the RL-22 some more this spring.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts