280 Ackley Question

A cartridge that has been fired in a "fat chamber" can be squeezed back down but their will be an excessive working of the brass. The problem increases when the cartridge is a belted cartridge. The belt will swell and cannot be sized back down. I cracked two quality bushing dies because of the swelled belt. In non belted cartridge, one could just neck size but that is just covering the real problem. The real problem is a bad chamber, and having a die made to fit that bad chamber is not the route to go. Get a new chamber that will fit regular dies. Been there and done that. Just my 2 cents, or maybe 3.

As mentioned earlier if your worried about it I would just have it set back a turn with a correct reamer

I wouldnt blame the Smith unless the chamber is oblong and thats why its big.
I've seen bad reamers before thats why I stay away from one particular reamer company. Its JGS or Manson for me

Any suggestions would be appreciated I live in the north east but can send it anywhere

Bob Greene comes to.mind but I hear he's hard to get ahold of.
Larry Racine is in your neck of the woods

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.