280 Ackley Question

I also used Redding comp dies on my son's 280a.i. with similar results.

The relationship between chamber and die is excessive and you end up sizing too much. It likely over works the brass, leading to a lot of trimming after a few firings. Then the shoulder moves into the neck and you end up creating a donut.

On my son's rifle, the donut arrived on some 2x fired and all on 3rd firing. I used mandrels to force the donut to the outside and turned necks + a bit more in the shoulder. I used pin gauges and tubing mic to verify all was well. It took a lot of time and was a PITA.

I knew it would happen again down the line, so I shopped for new brass and bought a sizer from Forester and Hornady. Returned the Forester and kept the Hornady, as it sized the shoulder only .002" and .0025" above the web. Turned the necks and everything worked out fine, some are on 5th firing and very little trim has been needed & no donuts.

Just my experience!
My exact 280AI experience with the Redding die being way to tight and the Hornady being perfect. I put so much pressure on the case that on the second firing, with a .002 bump, 3 out of five cracked in the center of the case. Bought a hornady die. A now it's the most accurate gun I have

Redding dies are made for both versions version of the 280AI there is 2 version has anybody who's had problems die to chamber made sure they have the Nosler or P.O. Ackley version and are matching dies accordingly

Actually Redding makes both I just checked mine. The 40 deg ones are the older P.O Ackley version

The Nosler version is .015 shorter at the shoulder so if you have the P.O Ackley version dies and have to run the shorter Nosler in the Die farther to bump shoulder you are gonna squeeze the case more because of the taper

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.