280 Ackley Question

Here is a good read on Redding website explaining the difference between the 2

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210110-051819_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210110-051819_Chrome.jpg
    415.6 KB · Views: 91
Yep went through that with redding when I ordered the dies before the barrel was cut. Definitely have the SAAMI chamber.

Seriously. I'd love for someone to answer this.
It's standard practice to bump shoulders back. 002 +/-, and that's only at 1 end of the case. By FL sizing a cylinder (cartridge case) .005 you are only moving the brass, in any one location,.0025. Thats a whopping difference of a half a thousands!
If the only detrimental result is that a person has to pull on the handle a little harder...? There's no brass being over worked here.
Why in the ever loving s#!+ did this thread turn into lathes, lawyers, hones, emails, and whatever else is coming down the pike?
Can someone answer this?

Seriously. I'd love for someone to answer this.
It's standard practice to bump shoulders back. 002 +/-, and that's only at 1 end of the case. By FL sizing a cylinder (cartridge case) .005 you are only moving the brass, in any one location,.0025. Thats a whopping difference of a half a thousands!
If the only detrimental result is that a person has to pull on the handle a little harder...? There's no brass being over worked here.
Why in the ever loving s#!+ did this thread turn into lathes, lawyers, hones, emails, and whatever else is coming down the pike?
Can someone answer this?
If you ever have a case separate and leaves part of the case in the chamber, some of these things come into consideration and importance

I remember reading that before. My redding comp die sizer just reads 280 ackley Imp FL 9P. I didn't think that with a fairly straight walled case, that there would be that much different in sizing down only .015 more. but I'm only a few yrs into this. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't even know what the 9P stands for

after reading that again, I believe mine are the SAMMI spec. But with the best of case lubes, I was having a horrible time sizing a case. When I used the hornady die, everything was perfect. It was sizing the the bottom only .002 at the most.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.