28 Nosler with 180 bullets H1000/Retumbo

FURMAN

Anyone using a 180 Berger with H1000 or Retumbo? I have a Ridgeline on the way and want to compare it to my 7-300 but data is scarce. I would prefer H1000. If you are using 180s please list OAL, bullet, powder, and velocity. Thanks.

I have a 28 Nosler and have a load I have found with 180gr Berger and Retumbo to be very accurate. My load is 80.7grains with a CCI LRM primer and running .020 from the lands, with my OAL guage it measures 2.812 at the bullet Ogive. The Chrono measurement averaged 3117fps at 440' elevation with a outside temperature at 71 degrees. I have a Brux #4 barrel with a 1:8 twist, at 200yds it is measuring a four shot group at .525". I am not seeing any pressure signs with this load in my rifle.

Something else I did when I ordered my 28 Nosler, I sent an email to Berger asking if they could provide the load data for the 168, 180, and 195 grain data for my rifle, they gladly sent me all the loads for those bullets​. They are the only ones that would provide me with the info, I requested the same from Hornady but was told they do not have anything with 28 Nosler for load data. Alliance powder would not send anything either for different loads with that cartridge.

Ya, it makes it hard to support companies other than Berger when they don't seem to test, or provide the data if they do. I have been trying to call Berger. The thing I am afraid of with them is it will be close to SAAMI OAL which is shorter than I will be running. My two 7-300 barrels are running the hybrid 3165 at the accuracy node at 28". I have only shot a few VLDs in one of the barrels and it took about another MOA up to hit with the hybrid so I stopped working with it. The loads for the 7-300 are running 76gr H1000. I really hope 3100 in the 28 is not the norm especially since it seems to require another 4-5 grains. I am not interested in the 195s. I really appreciate your help.

Have you thought of using RL33? I am currently working up a load with this powder for the 180gr, the 195gr love this powder and I found my rifle likes it at 84.3gr for the 195's shooting the same group size at 200yds. On that 180gr velocity with Retumbo, that is a Chrono speed, have not had the time to test it out to 600 or 800 yards to verify if that is an accurate measurement. The Chrono is a Pro-Digital Chrono I would love to measured it with a lab radar and magneto to verify if mine is accurate. The 195 measured Chrono speed is sitting on an average of 3093fps.

I have a pound of RL33. I am not fond of its temperature sensitivity and do not really want to take the time to collect extra data to put into my Kilo 2400. My 28 Nosler will be a CA Ridgeline 9 twist. I do not think the 195 will hold up to the 180s in a 9 twist. I am not sure how long the 28 will stick around my place if it can't surpass the 7-300, especially considering the extra powder it needs. I will hopefully be testing in a few weeks.

Just starting out with my 28 nosler. I hit pressure at 80.3 gr of retumbo and with 79.5 of H1000. 26 in barrel 8 twist 3.473 coal using the 180 eld-m. .025 off lands.

I hope more will chime in.

SCDogman, how do you like the 180 ELD-M bullets, are they accurate in your rifle? I was going to grab a box to try them out, the Berger VLD took a lot of powder to find the sweet spot, but do see a trend in my rifle with them wanting to be .020 and at Max or over Max on the Berger load data. This was the same when finding the right load and jump combo for the Berger 195gr as well.

Hasn't shot them over 100 yards. Another member shooting them in a 28 nosler has shot them past 600 and loves them.