28 Nosler 180 h1000 seating depth test 300 yards

46EBD618-448B-4D37-9F5E-2E0881E7F8C2.jpeg
Here is the target from today. 500 yards, 2x each charge

I don't have much retumbo but if this doesn't work I might try it
I had zero problems in my 28 with h1000 and 180 elds. The only difference is I didn't skip over the seating depth of .020 off. Again no guarantee it will shoot in your rifle but you most likely skipped over the seating depth it prefers.

I had zero problems in my 28 with h1000 and 180 elds. The only difference is I didn't skip over the seating depth of .020 off. Again no guarantee it will shoot in your rifle but you most likely skipped over the seating depth it prefers.
Not skipping over anything. I've done a LOT more testing with my 28noslers than I've posted. Even with .040 you will see a node of sorts, then zoom in from there.

Not skipping over anything. I've done a LOT more testing with my 28noslers than I've posted. Even with .040 you will see a node of sorts, then zoom in from there.
I dont disagree with that. It is just wasting ammo but you are asking for help and it is hard to give it when you leave important parts out. If you did in fact test other seating depths why would you show the .040 increments instead of the more accurate seating depths? It does not make sense. You did the same thing in your other thread. We all want to help but...

I dont disagree with that. It is just wasting ammo but you are asking for help and it is hard to give it when you leave important parts out. If you did in fact test other seating depths why would you show the .040 increments instead of the more accurate seating depths? It does not make sense. You did the same thing in your other thread. We all want to help but...
Understand. I did a bunch of testing when I first built the 28. I wasn't on the forum then and don't always take pics. I wanted to start over from scratch with the 180eld and h1000 seeing if anything had changed since I hit 100+ rounds out the tube. Again, I know better than to waste time on combos that don't show immediate potential. I don't want a finicky load, I want something that it really likes. Plus the r33 offers a bit more speed. I have some 195s coming which is what I had the reamer built for. When they get here we'll try those too. 180berger set some 1000 yard records a while back so I should try those too.

Understand. I did a bunch of testing when I first built the 28. I wasn't on the forum then and don't always take pics. I wanted to start over from scratch with the 180eld and h1000 seeing if anything had changed since I hit 100+ rounds out the tube. Again, I know better than to waste time on combos that don't show immediate potential. I don't want a finicky load, I want something that it really likes. Plus the r33 offers a bit more speed. I have some 195s coming which is what I had the reamer built for. When they get here we'll try those too. 180berger set some 1000 yard records a while back so I should try those too.

I will offer this and I will leave you alone. The 28 Nosler is a throated eater. If it were mine I would pick the combo you really want to shoot and stick with it until it won't work. The 195 has been hit and miss on game. I have only seen good on the eld. I never shot an animal with mine so I can't really say. The BC on the 180eld is better than the 195 and the 180 should be able to go faster but most likely not much because of the bearing surface. I have only used rl33 in one rifle and it had crazy temp swings and is crazy dirty. I will never use it again regardless of how awesome some say it is. If it were me I would pick 180(the eld since you have already started) and finish the load. It looks to me like you are very close based on your 500 yard target. Good luck.

Not asking to be left alone. I have never had luck trying to force a load. I've had good luck with r33 because I hunt in 10-40 degrees generally. That aside, I like the performance of the eldm. I got a 4pt mulie at 596 this year and it absolutely hammered him. Can't beat the damage it did. I'm not sold on the 195. Might try 180 vld down the road. I'll load up some 180 h1000 where I had some luck and do it in .010" increments again. I have way too many target pics and can't find the old targets.

Not asking to be left alone. I have never had luck trying to force a load. I've had good luck with r33 because I hunt in 10-40 degrees generally. That aside, I like the performance of the eldm. I got a 4pt mulie at 596 this year and it absolutely hammered him. Can't beat the damage it did. I'm not sold on the 195. Might try 180 vld down the road. I'll load up some 180 h1000 where I had some luck and do it in .010" increments again. I have way too many target pics and can't find the old targets.

I am with you on the too many targets. If RL33 works for you go with it. I completely believe in not wasting time on a load that does not work. I do long range 600-1000 yards. If there is a node with the combo it will show it period. I really think your 500 yard target shows promise.

Thanks. I just remeasured the fl resized brass, and coal with the 180s. Putting some 180s together with h1000 since I can't find my old seating depth target. 4 of each 005", .015, .025 and .035" sound good? I never want it said I didn't take advice

Thanks. I just remeasured the fl resized brass, and coal with the 180s. Putting some 180s together with h1000 since I can't find my old seating depth target. 4 of each 005", .015, .025 and .035" sound good? I never want it said I didn't take advice
Sounds good but if I were you I'd nail down that powder charge first.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.