28 Nosler with 180 bullets H1000/Retumbo

I don't have a chrono. I usually approximate speed and validate with drop data. Looking at magneto sported though

Anyone using a 180 Berger with H1000 or Retumbo? I have a Ridgeline on the way and want to compare it to my 7-300 but data is scarce. I would prefer H1000. If you are using 180s please list OAL, bullet, powder, and velocity. Thanks.

My buddy just got a ridgeline in 28. It shoots the 180 hunting vld pretty good with retumbo. He's getting 3140 fps and shoots 1/2 to 3/4 Moa to 450 yards.

Is your buddies Ridgeline bedded? I have a 30 Nosler that I bedded that is shooting under .5moa. These speeds everyone is reporting are a little disappointing considering my 7-300 does better with less powder.

Is your buddies Ridgeline bedded? I have a 30 Nosler that I bedded that is shooting under .5moa. These speeds everyone is reporting are a little disappointing considering my 7-300 does better with less powder.

He has not touched the 28. So I would say it's not bedded. I have a 7 rem ridgeline and it is a amazing shooter. It shoots 0.5 moa out to 1000 yards with 162 eldx and its fast to. I'm shooting 162 at 3140 fps.
My buddy With the ridgeline with heavy bullets he can't push them as hard as my other buddy that has a steel bbl 28. He get 3260 fps with his and the 180 vld
I have noticed with ridgeline and carbon bbls that you can't push them to hard excluding my 7 rem. I have 3 ridgelines.

Your running pretty good pressures to get that out of a 7-300, even my long throated reamer won't run that without being hard on brass. The 28 Nosler at equal pressures will out run the 7-300 by a 100+ fps.

Your running pretty good pressures to get that out of a 7-300, even my long throated reamer won't run that without being hard on brass. The 28 Nosler at equal pressures will out run the 7-300 by a 100+ fps.

No stiff bolt at all, no ejector marks, no cratered primers, and soft Norma/Nosler brass is lasting quit a while. I did not see signs of pressure until over 3200. This is in two different barrels, both 28". Both barrels have an accuracy node right at 3165fps drop validated. My reamer only has .200 freebore. I am not seeing a lot of data on the 28 with 180 bullets but what I am seeing does not look like it is going to do much better. I am running the hybrid and most data I see in the 28 appears to be VLD. I am guessing most of the difference is in bearing surface. I have shot a lot of the VLD. I just have not done a lot of side by side comparison. Everything I see with the 195 shows the 28 putting a large gap on the 7-300. I am just not seeing it with the 180s. My Ridgeline should be in my hands by next week so I will start testing. It is obviously 2" shorter so it will not be apples to apples.

I have a Christensen arms mesa long range 28 nosler with a 1:9 test was looking to see if any one has loads for a 180 Berger vld bullet and possibly the h1000 powder in am new to the long range hunting and will also be doing short range as well was also lookin at the 175 nosler long range accu bond bullet as well thanks any help or advice would be great appreciated

Have you thought of using RL33? I am currently working up a load with this powder for the 180gr, the 195gr love this powder and I found my rifle likes it at 84.3gr for the 195's shooting the same group size at 200yds. On that 180gr velocity with Retumbo, that is a Chrono speed, have not had the time to test it out to 600 or 800 yards to verify if that is an accurate measurement. The Chrono is a Pro-Digital Chrono I would love to measured it with a lab radar and magneto to verify if mine is accurate. The 195 measured Chrono speed is sitting on an average of 3093fps.
I would love to hear what you come up with for the 180s! I`m new to this and taking all the advice I can get from you guys with experience!

I would love to hear what you come up with for the 180s! I`m new to this and taking all the advice I can get from you guys with experience!
For my rifle using Retumbo, my load is 80.7gr of Retumbo with CCI 250 LRM primer and .020 off lands. This produces an average velocity of 3117fps. I had started testing using RL33, I found an accurate load 85.7gr using CCI 250 LRM primer at .020 off lands, but did not follow through to completion. I started working with a new powder IMR8133 on Hornady 180ELDM bullets, currently in the development stage, accuracy seems to be for my rifle at 81.7gr with a CCI 250 LRM primer and .020 off lands. Some helpful tips on development, after firing rounds take a bullet and see if the bullet will slide in and out of the case the length of the bullet, if it hits a wall about the time the boat tail junction is around neck shoulder area of case, you have a donut inside the case and it should be removed. Something that will aid in the prevention, but not always, is to only bump the shoulders of the case back .002. This will help keep you from oversizing the case. After bumping, before loading, see if the bolt will close without issues, if so continue to load at this setting. Another note no matter what powder you use, try to keep a good cleaning regiment at 20 rounds, I have seen my accuracy go to pot on the IMR powder after 30 rounds and cleaning showed lots of Carbon fouling. On cleaning, find your self a good solvent, I use a bore guide and a Tipton carbon rod using Bore tech carbon cleaner and bore tech copper solvent. I also scrub the bore with kroils and jb compound follwed by JB Brite. Good luck and remember to start low on your powder charge and work up to desired accuracy and velocity.

For my rifle using Retumbo, my load is 80.7gr of Retumbo with CCI 250 LRM primer and .020 off lands. This produces an average velocity of 3117fps. I had started testing using RL33, I found an accurate load 85.7gr using CCI 250 LRM primer at .020 off lands, but did not follow through to completion. I started working with a new powder IMR8133 on Hornady 180ELDM bullets, currently in the development stage, accuracy seems to be for my rifle at 81.7gr with a CCI 250 LRM primer and .020 off lands. Some helpful tips on development, after firing rounds take a bullet and see if the bullet will slide in and out of the case the length of the bullet, if it hits a wall about the time the boat tail junction is around neck shoulder area of case, you have a donut inside the case and it should be removed. Something that will aid in the prevention, but not always, is to only bump the shoulders of the case back .002. This will help keep you from oversizing the case. After bumping, before loading, see if the bolt will close without issues, if so continue to load at this setting. Another note no matter what powder you use, try to keep a good cleaning regiment at 20 rounds, I have seen my accuracy go to pot on the IMR powder after 30 rounds and cleaning showed lots of Carbon fouling. On cleaning, find your self a good solvent, I use a bore guide and a Tipton carbon rod using Bore tech carbon cleaner and bore tech copper solvent. I also scrub the bore with kroils and jb compound follwed by JB Brite. Good luck and remember to start low on your powder charge and work up to desired accuracy and velocity.
What was you COAL on the first load you listed with the retumbo?

Anyone using a 180 Berger with H1000 or Retumbo? I have a Ridgeline on the way and want to compare it to my 7-300 but data is scarce. I would prefer H1000. If you are using 180s please list OAL, bullet, powder, and velocity. Thanks.
Wow I just found my sweet load. 79.6 grains of h1000 .16 off the lands. 3154fps
A11A69DA-75D9-45B4-A819-0049570E802B.jpeg

Last edited: