28 Nosler sammi spec 1:9 Berger 175 Elite Hunter??

Colin78

Any of you shooting sammi spec 28 Nosler with 1:9 twist? Specifically a Christensen Ridgeline? I'm currently shooting 175 eldx at around 1" @100 yds. I'm having the rifle glass bedded and when I get it back I will see how that load does but would like to also get some Berger bullets to try. Thinking about the 175 elite hunters. Anyone tried them? Or is there another bullet you would recommend I try in this Christensen rifle?

I have an 8.5 twist that shoots the 175 EH very well. This barrel prefers RL33 Br2 primers and .093" jump ( 93 thousandths from the lands).
20190124_091247.jpg

Shot at 200 yards

I did load development for a CA Ridgeline in 28 Nosler that shoots the Berger 184 F Open Hybrid @ 3185fps into the .3s.

Nosler brass
CCI BR2
89.0gr RL33
184 Berger F Open Hybrid

No, umm... well kind of. Rem 700 with Mcgowen Remage barrel. Rifle basix trigger and Devcon bedded action View attachment 121145 not sure if that counts as custom because everything was done by me.

Heck yea that's custom. And even more impressive that you did it your self. I get a great sense of pride when I reload my own ammo that shoots well and drops deer like a hammer, I can't even imagine the feeling of building your own gun and doing that.

that is a great looking, and shooting rifle. i build all of my rifle's myself too, i started using the remage barrel nut and it let's you change barrel's yourself. i just finished a 6.5 creedmoor that shoots less than 1/2 groups with hornady black ammo. once again hope it is ok to post my thoughts. great looking rifle, and yes it is custom built.

I have been doing quite a bit of load development for my Fierce 28 Nosler with Berger 175 EH's. H1000 was good, but my best loads are with 85.5gr of R33, and BR2 primers. I have used the standard 3.34"COAL even though I have more room in my magazine. Velocity is right around 3150 fps, and groups around 1/2-3/4" very consistently. I had very unsuccessful results with magnum primers, hotter loads, and several other bullets.....especially the Nosler 168gr LRABs, couldn't get them to group but in all honesty I didn't spend a lot of time messing with them.

This past deer season I used my new custom 28 Nosler. Barrel is a 26" Proof Carbon with 1:8.44 twist and throated for the 180gr Berger's. Had it throated that way because I knew I would be shooting 140gr Berger's hand-loaded to SAAMI spec this season due to a lack of time to load for proper jump to the lands and the gun builder did not have a smaller reamer. Rifle is consistent and produces 0.625 MOA at 240 yards from the SAAMI spec rounds. At SAAMI spec (3.340 COAL) the jump to the lands is 0.146" with this load. Rifle produces 3321fps avg through my chrony with a mild charge of 7828. I'll be moving to the Berger 168 vld's for next year because seating depth (or lack of in the 140 gr vld's) is a major concern when testing loads for proper jump to the lands. Regardless, I can guarantee you that the 28 Nosler is an emphatic killer. The 140gr Berger's absolutely flattened two mature whitetail deer for me this year. One at 197 yards and the second at 393yds. I have never seen a cartridge flatten a deer the way this 28 Nosler does. To say it's an impressive cartridge is a gross understatement.

as a follow up to my previous notes regarding the 175 Berger Elite Hunters, I plan to deploy them on a Texas Aoudad hunt in a few weeks, will hopefully update some info on their performance then

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.