28 Nosler reloading Help and HBN coating question

Deviant

I have a 28 Nosler built on a Defiance Deviant Hunter action with a 26 inch Proof Sendero barrel and an APA brake and an AG Customs Carbon Fiber stock fully bedded. I did a ladder test with Reloader 33 and I came up with a node at 81.7 grains behind the 195 EOL giving me 2984 fps average. I then performed the Berger bullet seating test and .020 off the lands shoots .4 Moa for me. I finally got a chance to get this thing out to 900 yards and missed my first shot but hit the next three in a row. I then checked my drops out to 700 yards against my Sig kilo 2400 rangefinder and everything seemed pretty good. Next time out I took a 600 yard shot and missed even though everything felt perfect. So the next day I shot a group and the first shot was 1.5 inches high at a hundred yards and the next two were touching right in the center of the bullseye. Tried the same thing the next day and my first shot was an inch low and the next two were a bughole dead center of the bullseye again. I obviously have a cold-bore shot problem and I've heard that hbn coating can solve this problem. I'm just wondering how much do I need to adjust my load by to make up for the loss of FPS using hbn? Do I still use 81.7 grains of reloader 33 or do I need to adjust my charge to get back to that same node at 2980 FPS? Also if anyone has any other ideas what could be causing this please feel free to chime in. The gun was built by proof research and shoots lights out after the first shot.

What I would do after getting some HBN coated bullets, is load up like this:

80.5 - 1 shot
82.2 - 3 shots
82.7 - 3 shots
83.2 - 3 shots
83.7 - 3 shots

The reason for the first low charge, is after completely cleaning ALL copper and carbon fouling out of your barrel and treating with an HBN/alcohol slurry, your first round fired can have a pressure spike. So fire your first round with a lighter charge. Then, just fire and chrono the loads listed until you match your current velocity of 2980 fps. 2 grains above your current load should get you there or really close. If you get there before you shoot your high load, I wouldn't worry about it, just pull those bullets and reload them with your new charge, and your ready to go.

Keep in mind, your new hbn load going the same velocity as your last naked bullet load will have less pressure, so likely a little better brass and barrel life.

I'm just wondering if those shots, that were out of group were clean + cold bore. That might explain why they were out that much. Even at the range, I'll shoot a couple of foulers and always foul the barrel when going hunting. When I'm mapping cold bore shots, it's always in a fouled/cold bore.

I'm just wondering if those shots, that were out of group were clean + cold bore. That might explain why they were out that much. Even at the range, I'll shoot a couple of foulers and always foul the barrel when going hunting. When I'm mapping cold bore shots, it's always in a fouled/cold bore.
The second time I had 5 shots down the pipe without cleaning because I had that same thought.

You are way under speed by 100 FPS. You should be between 3050-3150 with 195s. Also you need to clean your barrel after every 20-30 shots with reloder 33. It's extremely dirty

You are way under speed by 100 FPS. You should be between 3050-3150 with 195s. Also you need to clean your barrel after every 20-30 shots with reloder 33. It's extremely dirty
I pressure tested to 3150 but found a node at 2980 and it shot very well so I thought I would preserve barrel life and stick with it.

Unrelated, but have you tried N570 in your 28N? Ryan Pierce is practically a 28N expert, and highly suggests N570 over R33.....definitely less temp sensitive and cleaner.

How long have you been letting the 2nd and 3rd shot sit in the warm chamber? it may be worth while to chronograph the shot string and see what the velocity is doing. Like others I have gone away from RL 33 in favor of a more temp stable powder.

How long have you been letting the 2nd and 3rd shot sit in the warm chamber? it may be worth while to chronograph the shot string and see what the velocity is doing. Like others I have gone away from RL 33 in favor of a more temp stable powder.
I have been loading 1 round at a time.

They don't sit in the chamber long I load one and then shoot. I am still fire forming my brass as it was all brand new so I haven't paid a lot of attention to the chronograph yet. I have .003 clearance between the neck and my chamber so I'm going to take .001 off of all of these necks when I turn them. I think I'm just going to have to start over with a new powder and try again if the hbn doesn't solve the cold bore problem.

R-33 was way too dirty in my 28 Nos.. I went with Retumbo and N-570 and never looked back. Too many pressure spikes with R-33 and very dirty.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts