28 Nosler reloading Help and HBN coating question

Rl33 gives great velocity but as stated is very dirty and unstable in heat, N570 if you can find it has proven to be a fantastic powder for the 28

Well the good news is that I'm out of RL 33 so I guess I will look for Retumbo because N570 is non existent around here. Im going to try coating the 195's with HBN and hopefully find a node around 3100 with Retumbo. I hate to start over when I have a .4 MOA load already but if the cold bore shot is off everytime then its worthless as a long Range hunting rifle. Furry critters won't give me a sighter and wait. Thanks for all the replies.

Al

Well the good news is that I'm out of RL 33 so I guess I will look for Retumbo because N570 is non existent around here. Im going to try coating the 195's with HBN and hopefully find a node around 3100 with Retumbo. I hate to start over when I have a .4 MOA load already but if the cold bore shot is off everytime then its worthless as a long Range hunting rifle. Furry critters won't give me a sighter and wait. Thanks for all the replies.

Al
HBN is a good thing for a long range rig anyway, especially an overbore cartridge like the 28 nosler, it may give you a little more barrel life, and will also prevent things like cold welding and should help cold bore shots

The problem is there will be no more N570 till next year.
I just picked up 7#. The accuracy nodes with N570 are a lot smaller, like 0.3gr nodes, where as you'll get a grain and a half with RL33. If you schedule cleaning every 40 rounds, you shouldn't get the carbon ring build up.

Al
My friends rifle shooting 80.8gr Retumbo, 215m primers, nosler brass, seated LONG with the 195s is ridiculously accurate. Velocity 3088fps.

I would test on paper and see if it's a consistent hit or if it is all over the place on the cold bore shot.
I would start there, and try the HBN. (which I swear by) but that gives you a better standard to start mapping this phenomenon. It could be the system, rifle/barrel settling in, barrel heat etc. By mapping that first shot it will give valuable info.

I would test on paper and see if it's a consistent hit or if it is all over the place on the cold bore shot.
I would start there, and try the HBN. (which I swear by) but that gives you a better standard to start mapping this phenomenon. It could be the system, rifle/barrel settling in, barrel heat etc. By mapping that first shot it will give valuable info.
I shot 3 shots 45 minutes apart and the first one was over an inch high the first day and did the same the next day and the first shot was an inch low. The problem is that I have 120 rounds loaded already that I'm not going to waste my time pulling. So I will do some more testing and crony everything and make sure it's not the fact that most of my brass is not fire formed yet. I have 100 rounds of fire formed brass that I lightly turned the necks on and I have .003 clearance between the chamber and the neck. My 6.5 Saum will be here next week I think I'll work up a load on that and get it shooting smooth so I have a backup rifle and then work on this 28 a little more after I make it through this ammo that I already have loaded.

Thanks, Al

I would definitely use stabile brass. Chasing problems with non fire formed brass is a problem in itself.

My dads 28 load
195 Berger
78 grains retumbo
F215 primer
3.875 ogive
3025 FPS
1/4 moa

If I am reading correctly this happened with under 10 rounds after cleaning? I know others say this works but I EVERY single magnum I have ever owned needs 8-10 rounds before they will group after cleaning.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.