28 nosler on small shank savage?

TxAggie94

Has anyone built a Nosler on a small shank savage action? I was working toward one, but I just got off the phone with Bartlein and they are recommending large shank for any of the Nosler cartridges.

Has anyone else hear of this?

Several small shank Savages have been chambered in 338 edge and similar.
Most belted mags are chambered in small shank. There is no problem at all by doing this.

Like I said, don't know crap about Savage's shank sizes... I was just figuring it was like the large-rings and small-ring Mausers. My bad.

As I recall, a few years back Savage noticed that they were getting rifles back with stretched chambers in the WSMs and similar fat cartridges so they came up with the "large shank" concept to add some meat to the barrel to handle these cartridges. Check out the Savage firearms list on their website and you will note that when you order a 300 WSM or similar you get a large shank action/barrel. The 28 Nosler is similarly a fatter cartridge though longer than the WSM so they to - if Savage offered them would be in a large shank. Having said all of that, I've got a 300 RUM in a small shank and had no problems but... if I were going new with a 28 Nosler, I'd go large shank.

I was going through the same thing. A couple barrel makers wouldn't do a pre-for for a small Shank. I found a 375 ruger in a 116. Those are large Shank. I'm two days from shooting my 28 Nosler. Being that this was my first build ever and I was doing the work myself, I felt better with the large Shank.

Side note: Anybody need a 375 ruger large Shank barrel?

As I recall, a few years back Savage noticed that they were getting rifles back with stretched chambers in the WSMs and similar fat cartridges so they came up with the "large shank" concept to add some meat to the barrel to handle these cartridges. Check out the Savage firearms list on their website and you will note that when you order a 300 WSM or similar you get a large shank action/barrel. The 28 Nosler is similarly a fatter cartridge though longer than the WSM so they to - if Savage offered them would be in a large shank. Having said all of that, I've got a 300 RUM in a small shank and had no problems but... if I were going new with a 28 Nosler, I'd go large shank.

What's the difference in tenon size between the large and small shank .

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.