.28 Nosler Brass question

Thanks guys!! I will tell him about the extra prep work on the Bertram brass. He isn't set on any one brass, and I found out last night that his gun has a tight chamber. He can't slide a bullet back in a fired case by hand, either handloads or factory fired ammo. When he bought his gun new, factory ammo showed extractor marks on the base. After he shot 14 rounds he saved the rest and started reloading the empties. He was able to get 5 to 6 firings each before the brass started to go away on him. He found that the more rounds he shot down the tube, the more fps he gained with the same load/bullet combo. After 60 or so rounds down the tube, he fired another factory round. FPS increased 60 or 70 fps (IIRC) and he no longer had an extractor mark on the base. BUT, he still cannot drop a bullet in the case after it's been fired. Factory Christensen rifle. I made him a modified case so he could check the base to lands dimension and to get the bullet to slide in the case we had to run the case partially in and out of the FL sizer die just to expand the neck.

A buddy gave him a 20 round box of once fired factory 26 nosler brass and right now he's going to try to make 28 nosler out of it.

He was here last month, and I took him to the 1,000 yd range. I got him on steel at 1,000 yds with him shooting the 175g SMK and he was happy, as he never shot further than 600-700 yds before. We only had 15 rounds to play with and I had left my laptop at home so dialing up from his 300 yd zero was a SWAG on my part using the data I had for the 180g Berger in my 7mm Allen Magnum for those conditions.
I have a christensen same tight chamber with nosler brass I cant slide a bullet in the empty. i bought some bertram brass and it has thinner case necks I am able to get full velocity from the heavy bullets now.
I had heavy bolt lift and ejector marks with 180's at 2950 w/ nosler brass and with the Bertram i am at 3082 with no sign of pressure

I have a christensen same tight chamber with nosler brass I cant slide a bullet in the empty. i bought some bertram brass and it has thinner case necks I am able to get full velocity from the heavy bullets now.
I had heavy bolt lift and ejector marks with 180's at 2950 w/ nosler brass and with the Bertram i am at 3082 with no sign of pressure

I think that is the problem that many are seeing with high pressure in this cartridge. High pressure is due to too tight of a neck/chamber coupled with thicker brass in the 28 Nosler neck area.

He measured his brass. All this brass is of Nosler manufacture. Standard 28 Nosler brass has a case neck wall of .010". His 26 Nosler brass upsized to 28 Nosler has a case neck wall of .008".

A fired 26 Nosler neck upsized to 28 Nosler measures .320". A fired 28 Nosler neck measures .318". His brass with a bullet in the neck measures .314" for the upsized 26 to 28 Nosler brass, and .318" for the regular 28 Nosler brass.

He also measured the bullets. 175g SMK was .284" He was seeing pressure signs with the 175 ELD's and he measured them. They were .285". So I think we are on the right track to finding out why pressures are high.

Pretty sure that mons saami apex for 28 Nosler is .318 neck. That necked up 26 Norma brass should be money.

Other than one box of factory, all I'v been using is necked-up new 26. It just sits on the shelf?! Almost makes me want to get a 26 Nosler barrel?!
How do you neck up brass?
I also bought a 28 nosler form and trim die since I read somewhere I can use 7 RUM brass to make 28 nosler brass which I have a lot of.

How do you neck up brass?
I also bought a 28 nosler form and trim die since I read somewhere I can use 7 RUM brass to make 28 nosler brass which I have a lot of.
That's a lot of work to use 7RUM brass to convert to 28 Nosler, when 26 Nosler is fairly plentiful. I guess shooter's are afraid of short barrel life cartridges?! Here's a fun fact, you can get a new barrel pretty **** easy.

Run a well lubed neck, 26 Nosler case in a 28 Nosler sizing die, load, shoot done.

The past 2 weeks my local Sportman's has had 3 boxes of 28 Nosler on the shelf and hasn't moved?! I however don't need any, however I did deplete their supply of Nosler Custom Competition 6mm 107 gr bullets last nite!

That's a lot of work to use 7RUM brass to convert to 28 Nosler, when 26 Nosler is fairly plentiful. I guess shooter's are afraid of short barrel life cartridges?! Here's a fun fact, you can get a new barrel pretty **** easy.

I just bought a 28 Nosler rifle. I found some nosler brass online but pretty pricy so just bought one box and also a box of loaded ammo. The loaded was cheaper than just the brass. Also, Someone on line mentioned 7Rum brass could be used and I found some "once fired" 7 Rum much cheaper. So how hard is it to convert the 7 Rum to 28 Nosler?

For what it's worth Midway USA and Midsouth shooters both have Nosler 28 Nosler Brass in stock.

Last edited:
THANKS I WILL TAKE A LOOK THERE ALSO!
Ive been buying them as I find the cheaper ones. I got lucky a couple times on gunbroker.
But i have also been buying the loaded ammo since its a brand new gun and I have a lot of shooting to do. I actually dont even get it from the gunsmith until saturday. The day after I get my new McGowen barrel.
Still not sure what I am going to chamber this one in.

As to 28 Nosler brass. Midway USA has Hornady 28 brass that can be backordered and it's a good deal cheaper than Nosler though it only comes in 20 round boxes. It appears they expect a shipment of it to come in soon.

I'm trying to avoid having to start a seperate thread. I just need to know how to turn 7MM RUM brass into 28 Nosler. Is it just a matter or running it through a 28 Nosler FL die and trimming or is there more to it?
Thanks in advance.

0C466C9E-861A-409B-B413-555491B0FE21.jpeg
8EF7271D-E767-4C41-8A7D-06E99E133B26.jpeg
As to 28 Nosler brass. Midway USA has Hornady 28 brass that can be backordered and it's a good deal cheaper than Nosler though it only comes in 20 round boxes. It appears they expect a shipment of it to come in soon.

I'm trying to avoid having to start a seperate thread. I just need to know how to turn 7MM RUM brass into 28 Nosler. Is it just a matter or running it through a 28 Nosler FL die and trimming or is there more to it?
Thanks in advance.
Hi!
I had asked that earlier also.
I have a redding "Form & Trim-Series B 28 Nosler die #83790" but I have no idea how to use it. Someone had said I would ruin almost as many cases as I trasnformed. I havent tried yet but will soon since I have a lot of older 7 RUM Brass.
I also have plenty 28 Nosler brass right now so I am in no big hurry to take the time.
There were no instructons with the die/box but I am sure redding would tell me if I called or emailed them.
Good luck with it!

It's pretty easy to do. I didn't lose one case and made 20. The hardest part is to trim the brass down enough. Just wait a few months and ADG is supposed to come out with 28 Nosler brass

It's pretty easy to do. I didn't lose one case and made 20. The hardest part is to trim the brass down enough. Just wait a few months and ADG is supposed to come out with 28 Nosler brass

Thanks a bunch Rhovee. As to ADG maybe making them in a few months it sounds good and I hope it happens but so often things don't always happen on schedule so I wouldn't want to hold my breath. As to trimming, I have a RCBS Trim pro with a drill motor connected to it so the trimming shouldn't be a problem.

Let's hope ADG comes out with 30 Nosler brass it's about the only reason I dont build one is because of the Nosler primer pockets suck.
I hope your listening ADG

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts