270WSM Handloads

Roger that. It'll be a few months. Waiting for a barrel and a trying to find a LH action I'll be happy with. Thinking I'm building this on a long action Kelbly Nanook or Atlas Tactical. Happy NY Jon!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too! If this bullet performs well, I may be interested to buy a sample of a few rounds from you test in my rifle.

I'm not sure but my Dad's Browning A-Bolt shoots just fine with 130gr Nosler BTs over IMR4350. I'd definitely be trying more bullets since it sounds like you've only tried one? I'd stick around the 4350 or 4831 burn rate. Good luck.

Sorry, I didn't read too much of the thread.

Glad to send you some Jon. Just share your data. The BC on the 140 is impressive also. Cheers
Oooh, now that makes me even more interested. My rifle shoots Federal Fusion 150's at 200 Yards regularly getting a group around 0.72 inches. But as you know, I can't get that ammo anymore, so I am looking for a handloaded alternative that is as good or better.

On the badlands bc I'd take the listed bc with a grain of salt and test for yourself. I shot enough of the 150's and moved on for a couple reasons. When they work for people they seem to be good.
I know opinions are varied on the hornady eldx series but my wife has killed 2 cow elk with them in my 270sherman short and they worked great. One at 200 yards and other at 480 yards.
Might give some accubonds a try. Or Sierra gamechangers.

Oooh, now that makes me even more interested. My rifle shoots Federal Fusion 150's at 200 Yards regularly getting a group around 0.72 inches. But as you know, I can't get that ammo anymore, so I am looking for a handloaded alternative that is as good or better.
Check the 140 out and be sure of your barrel twist rate.

IMG_1662.png

On the badlands bc I'd take the listed bc with a grain of salt and test for yourself. I shot enough of the 150's and moved on for a couple reasons. When they work for people they seem to be good.
I know opinions are varied on the hornady eldx series but my wife has killed 2 cow elk with them in my 270sherman short and they worked great. One at 200 yards and other at 480 yards.
Might give some accubonds a try. Or Sierra gamechangers.
I've had great results with all the listed BCs by Badlands in 30 cal. No experience yet with the 270's. The Berger 150's work great though so I'm good with them as well.

Looks like we lost a post?? The contributor raised the possibility that the barrel wasn't broken in. That could be. This rifle is an anomoly wrt Gunwerks quality and was built about the time of the split with Best of the West. I'll watch for copper as I try some of the combinations suggested in this thread. Sure would like to see the lost thread restored! But I'm glad I got to see it. I've been assuming that I was working with a properly broken in custom barrel mounted to a blueprinted action. Given the anomalies of this rifle, I need to consider such possibilities.

Sorry friend to have assisted in a minor derail of your thread. As I mentioned with the load I posted, I think you need to come further off the lands. A lot further but only testing will tell. The load I posted with the 150 Berger was 2.75-2.76 COAL running Retumbo or RL22. Good luck and happy New Year all.

I had a Kirby Allen 270 WSM a few years ago. I was using H4831 with Berger 140 grain HVLD's at ~3100 fps iirc. With that load the gun was a tack driver, I still have a couple targets on the wall that are one hole groups.

With Nosler brass and CCI 250 primers I've had great luck with 5 different 270 wsm with Rldr 17 and 140 grain Accubonds. 59 to 60 grains will get you 3200 fps. 0.4 moa and smaller. 61.3 grains of H4350 with Sierra 135 match will shoot 3 into one hole. Sub 0.3 moa. 61 grains of Rldr 17 will print Itty bitty groups with Barnes 129 lrx. 3300 fps. 69 grains of H1000 will shoot sub 0.5 moa with the 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip and Nosler Partition. 3000 to 3030 fps. These are max loads and should be worked up to with caution. The 270 wsm is really easy to load for. Every bit as easy as the Winchester. There's something else wrong with your rifle. Barrel, crown, scope, mounts etc...Bergers are extremely hard to shoot sometimes in certain rifles.