270AM few ? for anyone shooting this

bigrich954rr

Im going to order mine. What bullets are you shooting? what vel are you getting? has anyone gotting a deer at close range did the bullet hold together. About what are the bullet drop rates?

Lerch or his buddy did a nice write up on pig hunting with the 270 AM. Just look back a few pages. I'm pretty sure they were using the 169.5 grain VLD .277 from "WildCat Bullets"

Hey Big

Me and Bill Bailey got the for public 270AM's. You will not be disapointed at all. Outside of the fact that Kirby produces some of the most amazing rifles I have ever seen and his work is astounding, the caliber is awe inspiring. We both shoot the 169.5 wildcats exclusively because it is with these bullets that the true potential of the caliber is understood.

But leave it to that crazy Montana guy and his insane Canadian buddy to come up with something even better. Soon there will be a 185gr ULD .277 that could have a BC in the .8 to .9 range. The sheer retained energy along with the wind bucking ability should make this round a close match ballistically to the huge 7mm AM!!!

The advantage of the 270 AM is the ease of forming brass, you simply take 7mm RUM brass, neck down to 277 leaving a small crush fit, fire and you extract one hell of a sexy lookin round. Those fireforming loads aint nothin to think lightly of either. We had great luck with them out to 730yds on pdogs and one unlucky sick steer Bill laid out like a rat hit with a sledge hammer!!!

With WC872 powder we are getting around 3300-3400 fps depending on load and temperature conditions. This powder is fairly temp sensative but it is nothing you cant overcome if you dont load to the absolute max, me and BJ have a little problem with that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

US869 is a new powder by Hodgdon that should solve a lot of these temp problems. Bill just tested it and had really nice results, I dont know about the temp sensativity yet but it shows good promise. YOu might check for a post he made about it under Handloading i think.

NO matter what you choose in caliber you will not go wrong with choosing Kirby as a smith, he knows his stuff, and he is a fun guy to deal with.

YEAH i gotta kiss a little @$$, he is building me another one of his hog leg Allen Mags. Though hopefully we will do good enough it to offer him a little free advertising!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As for close range impacts I shot a coyote with mine at about 280yds and it seperated his offside shoulder and about a 1.5' section of hide and landed it about 2' away. Bill's hog didnt have a exit wound but those little suckers are **** near made of Kevlar. My parents dogs got hooked up with some hogs earlier tonight so maybe we will have some more testing to do!!!

If you need anymore info email me or Bill Bailey.

Good luck
Steve

Bigrich954rr,

Personally I feel there is no better bullet for the 270 AM then the 169.5 gr ULD RBBT. That is so far anyway, as Lerch correctly stated, there is a 185 gr ULD RBBT that will be coming this summer hopefully. THis will offer the 270 AM true extreme range performance and also better on game performance on heavier game as well as close range impacts because of the higher sectional density of the bullet.

As the designer of the round, I feel 28" should be the min barrel length and actually prefer a 30" barrel. These are not designed to be light weight carry rifles. We can build them in 10 to 12 lb rifles ready to hunt which is not overly heavy to pack and still offer 1K performance.

I have tested bullet weights from 130 up to 169.5 gr and all perform very well. velocity wise in a 30" barrel you will be looking at the following velocities:

130 gr...........3800 fps
140 gr...........3625 fps
169.5 gr ULD.....3350 to 3400 fps
185 gr ULD.......3150 to 3200 fps "Estimated"

Bullet drop wise, I will not get into real deep numbers here. Just to give you an idea of my personal rifle. My load uses the 169.5 gr ULD RBBT loaded to 3265 fps, very mild load.

I sight it in a bit over 2" high at 100 yards and using a standard mil-dot reticle, the bottom post will basically be dead on at 1000 yards. That is with a very mild load compared to what my customers are using.

On game performance, My father took the first big game animal ever with the 270 AM. It was a painted Desert ram at less then 50 yards. This was not a large animal, about 75 lbs but there was a round caliber entrance wound and a 1.5" exit wound using the 169.5 gr ULD RBBT. these were also the open hollow point design as well so they will expand more.

At longer ranges, I would say on game performance is extremely similiar to a Ballistic Tip except that intital expansion is slightly slower. They are designed specifically for deer size game and for this game they perform exceptionally well.

Now you try to break an 800 bull elks shoulder at 50 yards you may have some issues at these velocities but at 50 yards its not a trick to take a neck shot or simply slip the bullet behind the shoulder and avoid any heavy bone.

The new 185 gr ULD RBBT will be a better Heavy game bullet. Richard also offers some heavier bonded core bullets as well which I would recommend for the purpose of hunting heavy game if your the type that likes to break shoulders.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.