270 wsm load help

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by bhunting, Mar 28, 2011.

1. bhunting

bhunting Active Member

I have my new gun all completed and have been doing some shooting. I am using Hornady sst in 140 grains with the H4831 powder. I am shooting 62 gr of powder and it is showing a little sign of pressure but still ok. I shot it through the crono the other day and was only at 3025. I was hoping for a little more out of this gun and found where others say they are getting more. Anybody else out there getting more out of their 270wsm?

2. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

You look to be right in line with the Hodgdon manual for that load, I would go to a slower powder like H1000 or Retumbo. Magpro gave me good velocities also but I got better accuracy with Retumbo but certainly worth a look.
    My load for all 140's is 71gr of Retumbo and I get 3300-3440 fps out of a 26in barrel.

3. shootinfool

shootinfool Well-Known Member

how long is your barrel. I am getting around 3300 fps out of a 28 inch barrel and reloader 19. it seems that i am 64.5 gr of rl 19 if i remember right but with a 130 gr bullet. I have some 140 gr bergers that I intend to test here soon though and will let you know what I am getting out of those.

4. Shortmagman

Shortmagman Well-Known Member

The guys have given you good advise. Change powders! I checked the Hogdon web site and 62.5 grains is the max listed for a 140 grain bullet and the velocity shown is 3085 ft/sec. If you are looking for velocity you will be hard pressed to beat Magpro. The Accurate Arms web site lists 3275 ft/sec with 74 grains of Magpro. I was never able to get the accuracy that I wanted with Magpro but some people have. Retumbo and RL-22 are also good choices. I have not used Retumbo but others have with great results. I have used RL-22 with very good velocity and accuracy.

5. bhunting

bhunting Active Member

Thanks for the input. I went and picked up some Retumbo and have loaded some shells to try out. I was also loading the hornady sst's and now picked up the nosler accubonds. I was getting good groups out of my other load but just wasn't satisfied so I am starting over again and had heard the retumbo was a good choice so I will let you guys know how it turns out.

6. bhunting

bhunting Active Member

I made it to the range today and am much more pleased! It liked 70.5 grs of the retumbo at 3270. I was showing no signs of pressure and the gun really liked it. Thanks for the help!!

7. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

Ya, that's a little more like it!! :D