Re-barreling 270 WSM

earl1704

I keep reading about the need to re-barrel for better accuracy, Krieger, Broughton, Brux and other names.

But when I read the specifications on a barrel from one of these companies they say they are made to SAMMI specifications. If the barrel on my 270 WSM is made to factory spec. which I assume are SAMMI specs what good does it do to re-barrel? I assume the chamber would be the same size as the one I have now.

My Savage 270 WSM barrel has about 100 rounds through it.
It won't hold a 10" pattern at 100 yds with factory bullets or my re-loads.
(I am the third owner all had the same problem). I have taken it to gun smiths and none could seem to find any problem (or cared much to try).

Thought I would send it in to have re-built but it seems 6 months is minimum time to get it done and returned.

lightbulbSo then I thought I would put an Accurate Innovations stock on it.

Add a Nightforce scope with solid bases.

But would all that help accuracy if the barrel is not changed? It would at least be bedded and I would be rid of the plastic stock.
:cool:
I think I could put on a Krieger barrel on it (I've read how to do it) but I would not be able to lap the threads and receiver-mating shoulder. I would just install it without lapping.
Is this an Ok idea or should I wait until I get a gun smith to do it up proper?

The bottom line is accuracy can it be archived in several steps?

MY REMINGTON 700's with krieger barrels shoot great. several on this forum and on benchrest.com swear by savage rifles. you might send it back to savage and get a new barrel.

10' groups at 100 yds sounds mare than just a rifle problem. Have you tried different scopes? That sound like a scope problem to me. Had the same issue with a rifle of mine many years ago when I put one of the older cheap bushnells on a 7mm RM. Bullets going everywhere. Swapped out to a good weaver and problem solved.

Degrees of accuracy can be achieved in steps.

Most custom barrrels dont come chambered. The smith does that for you and you can have it done the way you want. You can also get a custom reamer made.

-MR

Yes I have tried 2 different scopes on the 270 but I have not changed scope bases. One scope a Luepold the other a Bushnell

As for returning the rifle I am the 3rd owner in about 2 years the first guy shoot it once and put it in the closet for at least a year the other guy tried to have local gun shop look at it but found nothing. Then I got it and figured I would fix it to use as coyote rifle. I would think its out of warrenty. Not to mention these were just the stories I got which may not be accurate.

I thought about changing the base and rings, swaping out one part of the gun at a time untill I run into the cause of so much cussing.

Question on chambering, I have seen barrel blanks but also listed as 270, 7mm, 308 ect. are they not finished or is this just the size the gun smith can chamber them for?

Thanks

What size bullet are you shooting or have tried, could not be stabalizing if your trying 150's. What stock do you have, if you have pressure on the barrel or tang it can send them into orbit. My Savage 12 270WSM is particular in what you feed it.
A barrel blank is a rifled tube no contour or chambering usually. You can get a pre-fit Savage barrel that is chambered and threaded ready to spin on from several places, Shilen, McGowen, Pac-Nor are the ones that come to mind. Spin it on and head space yourself.

Before dumping a bunch of money into it, I'd check the bedding and barrel float. A co-worker of mine came to me with a Model 70 in .300 rem mag that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I was his last step before just selling it for fifty bucks. I pulled the action and found it was bedded in something that looked like shoe goo. I scraped that crap out, put in some aluminum pillars, bedded it with some loctite epoxy and sanded out the barrel channel a little bit and now it shoots clover leafs at 100 yds. Took me about 2 hours of work and $10 in materials to make a shooter out of a tomato stake.

As for the barrel question, the answer could go either way, that is to say that could be what the gunsmith chambers for or what caliber the barrel is. Normally when a barrel maker calls out caliber, that is the bore diameter throughout the barrel and chambering or chamber is the cartridge that they have the ability to ream the barrel out to fit. Generally getting a .270 caliber barrel will mean that your gunsmith will have to ream whatever chamber you desire whereas getting a barrel chambered for a .270 WSM means that your gunsmith simply needs to spin the barrel on and headspace.

Hope that helps

-PJS

Earl sounds like you have a scope mount issue.
Where are you located?
Im getting pretty good at figuring out the problems.
Let me know if I can help.

Defective scope
Loose base/rings
Loose action bolts
Poor bedding/action to stock fit allowing action to move under recoil even if screws are tight
Barrel crown is not square

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts