270 wsm load data?

crittrgittr

I recen1:9tly purchased a 270wsm on here and was wondering what you all have had good luck with? I'm thinking of 4831sc with either a 150 or 165gr. Any and all input will be appreciated since it's getting close to deer season and would like to possibly give it a try. It will be a 1:9 24" barrel Browning x-bolt. I hunt WI so my longest shot will be 4-500yds on 150-200lb. deer. I'm kinda leaning toward the 165gr.

A130 gr tsx will take down deer ,elk , moose.
63.1 grains of Reloader 19 , Winchester cases, cci mag primers.
The rifle took a moose once again last nightat 100 yards.
One shoot- one kill!
But you will have to work up this load for your rifle, I would start at
60.grains to start with.gun)

congrats on the elk. I've heard others talk about the reloader19. It sounds like one to consider.

At 4-500yrds you certainly don't need to run the bigger bullets, the 140's hump out there and will touch something at that range! The 1-9 twist would certainly let you shoot the 165 and the 175 Matrix and gives you some top notch BC.
Retumbo with 165's start about 64gr and work up easy, slow powders are the ticket with the bullet over 130gr.

where is the best place to buy those matrix bullets? I guess I'm not real familiar with them?

I loaded up some 140g Accubonds with 69.5g of Retumbo and a 215 primer for deer hunting.

They came out about 3100fps and grouped well with a low ES. I am going hunting so I will know how they perform soon.:)

I heard the accubonds worked good in this caliber. Anyone else have any experiences with them?

The 140 Accubond is one of the best bullets in the 270 WSM for general to mid range hunting, I've ran out about 800 or so of them with a few elk and deer kills as well. I've never had one stay in an animal, even elk they've blown through them leaving a trail of carnage in their wake. I did find one in the dirt behind a deer I smoke but that was the only one I've recovered.

387632_293319970689920_100000357577754_1025404_936564516_a.jpg

I shot this buck at about 90 yards with the load I listed above. After the first shot he was still standing and I moved a few yards toward him expecting him to go down any second. He started trotting off so I let him have it. Out of four rounds I let off total I had three in a group about 3.5" in the heart lung area. The entrance holes were about the size of nickel or slightly larger and the exit holes made a 2" group and were dime sized holes. The heart and lungs were liquified. My 4th shot was let off right when he was dropping and went over. He was dead about 30 yards from the first shot.

I am pleased with the accuracy and BC of the 140 Accubond but am not overly impressed by the expansion shown by them. I usually use a 130g Hornady Interbond and I believe the exit holes would have been much bigger.

This deer was dead at the first shot and wasn't going to go far but a bigger hole would have been nice. It had three exit holes in the lower chest area and there was not a large blood trail.

I shot a deer later with the Sierra 140g HPBT with the same load otherwise and I left a 4" hole on exit although it does not have a comparable BC.

I took a couple pics of the holes but they aren't that good. I will add them later.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.