270 WSM Info Please

I am looking at buying a 270wsm for the wife as an elk gun. She shoots the 243 very well already, but I am curious if anyone else out there has any insight on what the recoil is like. I know I have shot a 300wsm and the recoil is nothing like that of the recoil of at 300 win mag. We went to the store and had her shoulder a few different rifles. She felt comfortable with the Tikka, Bergara and Savage. Any info is appreciated! Also, the 6.5 is not an option. Thanks

Everyone's tolerance for recoil is different. Stock design and weight can make it worse or better.
A friend of mine's wife has shot a 7mag for years , in 2008 she bought a Rem model seven in 270 wsm .
After range time and missing 3 deer she admitted that the thing kicked worse than the seven mag . I bought it quickly and discovered that she was right. I have several rifles in this caliber and having one built right now . If I was buying one for my wife or daughter it would have a break . I know they are loud and ugly but I would rather them enjoy shooting . Once someone develops a fear of recoil it's hard for them to trust a 22lr.
I know this because I have one kid that is now grown that refuse to shoot a rifle all because a bad recoil experience.

I have one that I have come very familiar with over the last year. Kimber Montana with a zeiss conquest v4.
First, factory 10 twist barrels kinda throttle it a little. 140 accubonds at a little over 3100 FPS is the best I have got and I just don't think that is taking advantage of an awesome chambering. I shoot the 117 hammer hunters at 3300 fps and they have been great for deer and antelope. I could probably get another 100-150 FPS with h4350 but they were shooting really well and I didn't want to waste time chasing numbers.

recoil is stout and quick. I cannot see my impacts through the scope. It is not fun to develop loads for, the whole rifle weighs around 7# fully loaded, it is one of the lightest factory rifles available. It is not braked but it flat out kills things.

Shooting 3-5 rounds is fine, no problems. Fireforming 75 pieces of brass was not fun, nor was shooting repetitive groups at 100 yards, but the weight is awesome. It's like wearing a heavy watch.

I have one that I have come very familiar with over the last year. Kimber Montana with a zeiss conquest v4.
First, factory 10 twist barrels kinda throttle it a little. 140 accubonds at a little over 3100 FPS is the best I have got and I just don't think that is taking advantage of an awesome chambering. I shoot the 117 hammer hunters at 3300 fps and they have been great for deer and antelope. I could probably get another 100-150 FPS with h4350 but they were shooting really well and I didn't want to waste time chasing numbers.

recoil is stout and quick. I cannot see my impacts through the scope. It is not fun to develop loads for, the whole rifle weighs around 7# fully loaded, it is one of the lightest factory rifles available. It is not braked but it flat out kills things.

Shooting 3-5 rounds is fine, no problems. Fireforming 75 pieces of brass was not fun, nor was shooting repetitive groups at 100 yards, but the weight is awesome. It's like wearing a heavy watch.

Attachments

• A6E41DF8-972E-4BB8-8D0F-19B965227A5C.jpeg
    A6E41DF8-972E-4BB8-8D0F-19B965227A5C.jpeg
    7.7 MB · Views: 110
  • 7C89015D-B40B-4A42-87DA-57418325FFDC.jpeg
    7C89015D-B40B-4A42-87DA-57418325FFDC.jpeg
    7.8 MB · Views: 115

So...do you like the rifle? Would you recommend it?

So...do you like the rifle? Would you recommend it?

very much and absolutely. But I have put significant work into testing and getting it to shoot. Most of that work was not a lot of fun. May be better starting with a 7wsm or 7saum, I think it is better equipped to take advantage of all that powder.

I shot a .270 WSM for several years and it has become one of my favorite cartridges. I used 140 grain Berger VLD for varmints and a couple elk, and 140 grain accubond for a few more elk. The accubonds gave great penetration and damage on elk... very effective. Recoil was moderate. As has been mentioned I feel stock design plays a big part in felt recoil and I had a 1" decelerator pad on it. I bought a .270 with the savage accustock for my 14 year old grandson this year. He's small and we adjusted the stock to fit him. He found it very comfortable to shoot.

The 270WSM is a superb round. IMO, it's all about the recoil pad and with a newer pad, a la Limbsaver, recoil is a non issue. I have 4 wsms, 270, 7, 300 and 325 and they all shoot sweet. Not all rifle makers install a great pad, like the Tikka T3 as an example. It is the only flaw of that design and I ended up changing the pads on all 5 I own, to the custom fit Limbsavers. She's gonna love it and no brake needed.

The 270WSM is a superb round. IMO, it's all about the recoil pad and with a newer pad, a la Limbsaver, recoil is a non issue. I have 4 wsms, 270, 7, 300 and 325 and they all shoot sweet. Not all rifle makers install a great pad, like the Tikka T3 as an example. It is the only flaw of that design and I ended up changing the pads on all 5 I own, to the custom fit Limbsavers. She's gonna love it and no brake needed.

What pad did you install on your tikka? I personally would rather buy a tikka just because I know it will shoot, but I have never heard of a Savage not shooting....

Bought my
B.bear, elk, wt.deer, mule deer that either I shot or was present when hunting were taken with Barnes 140 TSX in 270WSM and none walked or even moved from the spot.
However distances were not that far to be considered long range shots by any means. My point is 140TSX packs enough punch and creates shock that I never found lungs in one peace when dressed any of those animals.
Boyght mySelf a kimber 270 wsm, lost it to my wife! Shoots 140 ttsx, never had a failure! She loves its size and proportions. About 7 lbs with sling and scope. No elk will live if you put it where it should be!

I too have the model 70 in the 270 wsm. And love it . In my opinion the 270 wsm is absolutely awesome. Never shot anything bigger than a 5 1/2 yr old whitetail with it. But it flat out delivers . Recoil is not bad and will not be noticed when she is shooting at animals. Both my sons argue over who's hunting with it if I'm not . I'm shooting the 130 gr sst through mine and they shoot very well . Come to think of it every bullet I've tried through it has shot well. Maybe I'm just lucky

I bought a Tikka 270 WSM for the wife and after a trip to the range trying a couple hot factory loads I decided that thing needed a brake before she even attempted to shoot it. Im not recoil shy, but the Federal 150 Partition loads were dang hot and leaving primer marks in the brass. It was the snappiest recoiling rifle I've ever shot. With my mild 140 accubond handloads and the Vias brake its a sweet rifle for her and my kiddos to grow into. Honestly, I wish Id bought a straight 270 instead, with RL26 you can push a 140 bullet over 3100 fps easily. The WSM is not worth the extra recoil to me. In fact, I bought a 6.5 Creed for deer hunting instead of the loud 270 WSM, its not worth loosing hearing over a quick shot without ear protection.

What pad did you install on your tikka? I personally would rather buy a tikka just because I know it will shoot, but I have never heard of a Savage not shooting....
I have a Savage 6.5x284 that never did shoot well until I had it re-barreled which I had done at about 1,000 rounds out of frustration. groups never got tighter than 1.5" at 100 yards most 2"+

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.