270. WSM 170 Berger Action?..

CrowsFoot

I have a Kreiger heavy sporter heading my way with 1:8 twist for the 170's. This barrel was ordered by my friend before he decided to go another route with a proof in the same twist rate but seeing how he already had it coming his way we are both going to do a build based around the caliber with the 170's. I keep bouncing around on action choices because although we have had some of the short action wsm rounds built on long 700's I would like to go with a short action for this build and don't see it happening with 700. I'm really leaning towards bucking the trend and mating this thing with a short model 70 action with controlled round feed simply because I would like to try it. I could be wrong....and often am for that matter....but was thinking a short 70 would give me enough mag space with a little modification to help seat these out where I want them.Sure would like some wisdom from some of you winny guys or anyone that has expierence with this round shooting the heavys in a short action.

What I would do is make up a dummy round were you think you the bullet should be seated and see what your options are.

The Montana 1999 action fits the 270 WSM with the 170 Berger perfectly. The Tikka also works very well also.

I have been looking at the Montana actions for the build but have no expierence with them. Seems like people either love them or hate them for different reasons. Do you own one yourself bigngreen? If so I would appreciate your opinion of them vs a factory mod 70. I agree that the tikka would be a good candidate but I sure would like to do a Winchester or something based on it like the 1999.

What I would do is make up a dummy round were you think you the bullet should be seated and see what your options are.

Yes sir always a good idea..my buddy is currently already gathering up some of the 170's for load development. He's rifle is being built on a pierce titanium action with a custom barrel I asked proof research to make for the 170's because it wasn't offered factory. Even though every stick acts differently I was hoping his rifle would be done soon enough to use for a guniea pig to get an idea of of where the bergers like to be seated to I could get a rough idea of what my coal would be before I pulled the trigger on an action. I have have had rifles that liked the vlds seated against and some that shot lights outs jumping them a bit with no issues. My 264. Win would put three in a ragged hole every time with the 130 vlds and they were just loaded to run in factory mag without issues but doubt I could get that lucky again.
The Montana 1999 action fits the 270 WSM with the 170 Berger perfectly. The Tikka also works very well also.

A Med. Length action of some kind in whatever you decide is gonna be your best bet. My 6.5x300wsm has.200 freebore for the 140 VLD and the OAL is 3.08 near the lands. A mag box about 3.2 or more is probably what your gonna need.

I've built a couple 270 WSM's on the Montana, my reamers are all set up for the 165 Matrix or 170 Berger seated where they should be in the 3.1+ range. The 270 WSM is my personal favorite especially like it in the Montana.

The difference between the Montana and Win are little, the Montana has the mag box room in the short action for WSM's, it has a Mauser collar which adds strength but from my perspective it's easier to fit cause you just cut a flat face tenon no need to cone it or cut and extractor cut. I really like the Montana's bolt release set up as well, nice protected side bolt release. The only thing I think that may make the Win more desirable is Winchester on the action.

The difference between the Montana and Win are little, the Montana has the mag box room in the short action for WSM's, it has a Mauser collar which adds strength but from my perspective it's easier to fit cause you just cut a flat face tenon no need to cone it or cut and extractor cut. I really like the Montana's bolt release set up as well, nice protected side bolt release. The only thing I think that may make the Win more desirable is Winchester on the action.

I appreciate it big time bigngreen.. I have no special "gotta be a Winchester" deal going on here and believe I would be perfectly happy with the Montana. Hell the biggest draw to the whole thing was wanting something with that foot print to drop in an echols legend and now I finally have that excuse. Thanks again

FN PBR actions are also very well suited for short mag builds. Mag length is 3.050 on internal box.
I am using a 300WSM doner for a PRC build right now.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.