270 Winchester, 6.5-06, or 25-06 Fast Twist Deer Rifle

I love the opinions....however my mind is made up on case style, I am located in Canada, the chances of components being an issue preclude entertaining the 6.5 RPM. 7mm or 280 is out, don't care for it, my choice, 6.5 - 284 thought about but after some contemplation...no will be using an 06 case period. Looked at the AI or improved route but would like to stay with the "stock" case so to speak, again sourcing the specialty items in Canada is a challenge. I looked hard yesterday for components, brass and bullets, 6.5 bullets are plentiful, heavy .277 bullets were non-existent and heavy .257 bullets were non-existent. This is a factor for sure. Don't forget we are the red headed step child in Kanadastan when it come to components.

I just found some .277, 168gr Hammer Hunters, not certain about what you have for difficulties with shipping or even finding components in Canada??? Since you have explained your situation about living in Canada, it clarifies your quest to stick with the cartridges that you wrote about in your OP. Can you get bullets/components shipped to Canada from the U.S.; or, are you restricted to purchases within Canada only?

Last edited:
Sooooo stuck on this, I have a stock, a trigger, and a 06 length action, looking to install a fast twist 26" barrel for long range shooting and deer. I have a custom 300 for elk works, and a 35 Whelen for a timber rifle, looking at 3 long range options, no I do not want a 6.5 CM or PRC ! not interested, but have an associate with a long range 270 win with the new 170 grain berger. Handloads are mid 2900 fps (very impressive!) and he also has a 25-06 fast twist shooting the new 133 grain Bergers at 3000 fps. The ballistics are quite amazing with these slippery bullets, brass is available and standard, even the 6.5-06 is easy enough to work with.......stuck on cartridge selection. Thoughts? and hoping for gents who have these rifles.
love my 3, 280 ackley improved.

Sooooo stuck on this, I have a stock, a trigger, and a 06 length action, looking to install a fast twist 26" barrel for long range shooting and deer. I have a custom 300 for elk works, and a 35 Whelen for a timber rifle, looking at 3 long range options, no I do not want a 6.5 CM or PRC ! not interested, but have an associate with a long range 270 win with the new 170 grain berger. Handloads are mid 2900 fps (very impressive!) and he also has a 25-06 fast twist shooting the new 133 grain Bergers at 3000 fps. The ballistics are quite amazing with these slippery bullets, brass is available and standard, even the 6.5-06 is easy enough to work with.......stuck on cartridge selection. Thoughts? and hoping for gents who have these rifles.
6.5/280ai.

This is an easy one for me, barrel your 270 with a 26" with a Brux 7 1/2 barrel. Now you can shoot all of the 270 factory bullets and reload with 165, 170 and 175 bullets. Now you have a rifle for deer, elk and moose. This is what I did with my 270 WSM. You will not regret it.

I just found some .277, 168gr Hammer Hunters, not certain about what you have for difficulties with shipping or even finding components in Canada??? Since you have explained your situation about living in Canada, it clarifies your quest to stick with the cartridges that you wrote about in your OP. Can you get bullets/components shipped to Canada from the U.S.; or, are you restricted to purchases within Canada only?
Being curious i looked at cabelas in Canada. Looks like 6.5mm bullets would offer the best selection and availability.

280 Remington....didnt mention that in the title. Please let it go, not interested, no interest, dont care, no 7mm no 280 no 280 AI so just to recap because we want to stay on track - fast twist 25-06, 6.5-06, 270 Winchester....no 7mm no 8mm no 6mm
Have you thought about the new 6.8 western?

I'm striving for the entire 30-06 derivative family, only missing the 338-06 to finish the collection. Of these, the 6.5-06 is my current favorite. 25-05 has some pizzaz but not quite the punch of the 6.5 or 270. My 280AI is a close runner-up and I have developed 160 gr loads that run with my 7mm Rem. I neck up 25-06 brass for 6.5 and use my dremel to grind the "25" off the head stamp so I can keep it separate from my

Have you thought about the new 6.8 western?
The OP has a long-action he's working with, not sure if that will work for what he's looking to do???????? I recommended the .270 WSM with a fast twist barrel in one of my replies. He lives in Canada from what I read, and....I'm thinking resources are limited in his area?????

I noted back away, about getting dies for reloading. Not a problem. You just get a 280AI bushing die and put in the bushing you need. I am going down from 280AI or 7mm to .243 or 6mm. I am having to step down 4 times to achieve necks sizing I am after.

Calvin45 is on to it. With your 300 and 35 covering heavier duties, a .25 is in the ballpark nicely. I used the .25 for a year but went back to my 25-06. Just works better for me. I still use it (20+ years now) and I shoot up to 6-8 hundred yds comfortably. Now if my old eyes would just cooperate once in a while! Ha! Stay safe and have fun.

Again forgive me if this has been mentioned (i see 10 pgs ahead) but I would consider powder/brass/bullet availability. I do realize that all three are based on the ubiquitous 30-06 case but bullets, powder may be challenging.

As has been stated there is no wrong choice, I would consider a cut rifled barrel, I've seen some amazing accuracy from Brux, Krieger barrels.

Pick one; it is not going to be your last. The closest I have from your list is a .270 AI with a 30" 1:8" propelling the 175 Matrix VLDs at 2993 FPS with H4831SC. A fast twist .270 Win with a 26" barrel is no slouch.
I am slowly getting into faster twist barrels, i.e., .257 WBY (1:7"), .264 WM (1:7") .270 AI (1:8"), .30 LARA (1:9"), and .338 NMI (1:8").

Good luck with your build, and have fun with it,