270 Win For Long Range Shooting

Lucas,

Just wanted to take a minute to say thanks for a great article. I have a similar story as yours. I am currently in the process of my first rifle build. The first hunting rifle I ever owned is a very basic Winchester Model 70 in .270 wsm that just doesn't perform to the standard I'd like now that I'm venturing into longer range shooting and hunting. I absolutely love my old girl and she'll always be my favorite. But just like a Vegas trophy wife in her late 30's, she's due for an overhaul. Reading your article certainly put some wind back in my sails with the possibility of making her a true long range candidate. I've done my research and have decided on everything I want in terms of components and will have it all to the smithy once it all gets here. Going with a Lilja #4 sporter contour, 9 twist at 26", HS Precision stock (still haven't decided exactly which model), and a Timney trigger. Action will be getting trued/blueprinted and everything tuned that needs it (still learning about all of this as I'm pretty green in terms of gun building knowledge). It's very exciting to hear that a few higher bc bullets are/will be available too! I already have some loads in mind and will be working on them with my buddy. Anyways, thanks again for the great read, it's certainly lit another fire for me and I'm that much more excited to finish the build and take the next step with 'Ol Betsy.

thanks for the article!

I am enjoying finding out how far out I can effectively take my custom 270.

would you need a 9 twist barrel to use the 165 gr Matrix bullets?

I've been shooting 130 gr Nosler accubonds with 61.0 gr RL 22 at about 3230 fps and sub 1/2 MOA. Tried going to the 140 accubonds for the higher BC, but lost accuracy and wasn't that much to gain anyway.

thanks for any feedback

i use Hornady SST 150 gr in my 270 out to 525 yds and ive goten 7inc groups out of me tikka t3

I am embroiled in the design of "The Megadyne Model 12 .270, Pumpomatic"
I call it a "Pumpomatic" because it is an autoloader, but the action is a pump.
I Googled, " .270 Chamber Pressure" and you came up first!
My design employs a modified floating breech block. The back pressure is absorbeded by a stack of 1.00 diameter microcellular urethane bumpers after displacinging rollers in ramped detents on either side of the breech block.
The ramp is scheduled to hold the breech block firmly forward against the the cartidge head before firing.
After firing, conical spring washers, held in a "U" shaped member, load the rollers so that they pinch the breech block. The "Pinch" is varied by adjusting the axial load on the roller- spring assembly with a 1.00 inch diameter, frustum shaped, serrated knob on the right side of the receiver. The rearward force necessary to move the breech block back is controlled by the ramps.
I look forward to hearing from anyone who is interested in this design.
My website at: littleredhenenterprises.com is soon to be up, but one must email me for the time being.
Thank You,
"Downright" Dave

Lucas,

Just wanted to take a minute to say thanks for a great article. I have a similar story as yours. I am currently in the process of my first rifle build. The first hunting rifle I ever owned is a very basic Winchester Model 70 in .270 wsm that just doesn't perform to the standard I'd like now that I'm venturing into longer range shooting and hunting. I absolutely love my old girl and she'll always be my favorite. But just like a Vegas trophy wife in her late 30's, she's due for an overhaul. Reading your article certainly put some wind back in my sails with the possibility of making her a true long range candidate. I've done my research and have decided on everything I want in terms of components and will have it all to the smithy once it all gets here. Going with a Lilja #4 sporter contour, 9 twist at 26", HS Precision stock (still haven't decided exactly which model), and a Timney trigger. Action will be getting trued/blueprinted and everything tuned that needs it (still learning about all of this as I'm pretty green in terms of gun building knowledge). It's very exciting to hear that a few higher bc bullets are/will be available too! I already have some loads in mind and will be working on them with my buddy. Anyways, thanks again for the great read, it's certainly lit another fire for me and I'm that much more excited to finish the build and take the next step with 'Ol Betsy.

I'm glad you enjoyed it and that it's motivated you to breath new life into your "old trusty" rifle. With all the positive feedback I'll definitely write some more articles. Sounds like you're well on your way to long range hunting/shooting!

Hi All,

I arrived a Long Range Hunting when I googled, "Chamber Pressure"

See my post telling about the .270 I am building. It is a couple of posts back.

I want to learn as much about Long range Rifles as quickly as possible.

Please explain why the reviewers give the Savage trigger such high marks.

Thank You,
Dave "The Reluctant Lemming" Ijams

Hi All,

Thank You,

G-day,
Well a long range Rifle, is a bit different to a hunting rifle, Long Range is all about quality and precision it's Much Higher Quality, most average hunters are happy with a 7 cm group at 100, I'm happy with a 1.5 or smaller.
There is a LOT of BS out about LR shooting/Hunting so don't believe everything, everyone says, most answered you'll get are from ppl at home whit no training (self-thought) LIKE ME ;D

I personally wouldn't like a Savage ACCu trigger for LR shooting Just me..

Hi All,

Thank You,

You should start a thread with your questions, you'll have better odds of getting you questions answered!!!! Anything with a 270 has to be good don't it!!!

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Your "G-Day" makes me ask, are you "Strine"?

Your answer makes perfect sense to me, it's simply that I've only been introduced to LRH a week ago and every thing is new to me about the subject*

I design specialized wheel chairs for a living and work on "State of the Art" designs in the high performance racing engine and gun design fields.

I worked on a Flying Saucer for Avro Aircraft of Canada in 1957. Thirty-seven feet in diameter, 3750 kph design speed. Compressor and rotor wheels nominally eight feet in dia. They were of "Squirrel Cage" configuration.

I left the project before it was completed to work on the Bevatron at Lawrence
Labratories in Berkeley. It was the largest particle accelerator in existence at the time. Nobel Laureate Donald Glazer, was making headlines with his "Bubble Chamber" while I was there.

*I believe this sport grows out of man's desire to, "Smite thine enemies, a blow from a great distance", as mentioned in the Bible.

FWIW, it's "Hear" not "Here".

Please feel free to write more.

Thanks,
Downright Dave

How do I start a thread?

Here is what opened my eyes:
The Merits of the .270

Chuck Hawkes wrote an article saying that, not only was the .270 Win. one of the flattest shooting of the game cartridges, it had less recoil, less muzzle blast, and ammunition cost much less than for the others. I checked the Hornaday Tables and below is what I found:

A list of the Ten Flattest Shooting Game Cartridges

Taken from Hornaday's Ballistic Tables at the following web address:

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/ballistics/2012CatalogCenterSpread.pdf

Cartridge Bullet (grs.) 100 yds. 200 yds. 300yds 400 yds.

1) .300 Win. Mag. 150 1.0 0 - 5.1 - 15.0
2) 7mm Wby. Mag. 139 1.1 0 - 5.2 - 15.2
3) .300 Wby. Mag. 150 1.0 0 - 5.2 - 15.3
4) 7mm Rem. Mag. 139 1.3 0 - 5.5 - 15.9
5) .270 Win. 130 1.2 0 - 5.7 - 16.7
6 ).50 BMG 750 1.4 0 - 6.4 - 18.1
7) .338 Win. Mag, 185 1.4 0 - 6.4 - 18.8
8) .30-'06 Spgfld. 150 1.4 0 - 6.4 - 18.9
9) .338 Lapua 250 1.5 0 -6.6

[FONT=&quot]10) .308 Win. 150 1.5 0 - 6.9 - 20.0[/FONT]

I see that the 400 yds. column got shifted over to the far left.

The point is that the plain old garden variety cartridge that Jack O'Connor told us was good has, indeed, stood the test of time and can hold it's head up in some mighty fast company.

Thanks, Feenix.

I voted for "Freedom" and "Guns". I didn't vote on the money issue, because
TPTB have arranged it so that to make money, we often have to do the wrong
thing.

I am only proud of my country when she does the right thing.

Lately, we've been making war on the wrong people, IMHO.

Downright Dave

Down Right Dave... I've sent you a Private Message. You can check it in the upper right portion of the page. If you're starting out there is plenty of reading that can be done in these forums. You can use the search function to find specific information. Specific questions can be asked by starting a new thread as described before.

The type of long range shooting mentioned most often regarding hunting rifles online (like the Chuck Hawkes article you mentioned) are quite different from long range shooting you will find discussed in these forums. Often we sacrifice closer range trajectory (out to 400 or 500yds) for longer range trajectory and especially wind drift. We often shoot heavier bullets with higher ballistic coefficients... they start out slower than more conventional projectiles but more than make up the difference later.

downright dave,
welcome to LRH. i would suggest that you read PO ACKLEY's two volume set on his experiments before you reinvent the wheel. with your expertise and knowledge i would assume that you will catch up in a year or so. ackley was the most prolific wildcatter and experimenter of his days (govt refused to take him in WW II because they saw his work as too valuable). he covers cases, barrels, etc. like no one i have ever read, as well as killing power (he states that M.E. is wasted time-the killing produced by a projectile currently is in direct relationship to the rotational spin of that projectile which is relatively unaffected by distance). also he found out that the 270 win was basicly at the optimal case capacity of NTG based powder to propell a projectile. it is considerably overbore already and his attempt to get more velocity with the ackley improved 270 produced one of his "duds". it got virtually no improvement with the 6-8 % more powder. yes, you can push it faster, but at the expense of barrels and a great deal of more powder.
conversely, the 280 ackley improved is only 284 over 277 diameter from the 270 yet shows 100 + fps improvement with a similar increase in powder and is of one of the most underrated cartridges created. it can appoach and equal the 7 mm mag. thus illustrating that even a small increase in bore size can greatly decrease the overbore problems and give much better results. no matter how much can be juggled here, the maximum is 6800 FPS with any NTG based powder as that is as fast as it can expand and this was shown when the army necked a 20 mm cartridge to .22 cal. for all practical purposes that eliminates our currant rifle/projectile system as we know it because it would burn barrels out in an afternoon. therefore, they went to the railgun system to get 40,000 FPS and encountered a whole new set of problems.
a friend of mine who is a very renown barrel maker spent several years and many dollars trying to improve the 270 as he also was very interested in this caliber. he found what po ackley did in 1930-40's. the 270 win is near max for performance in that cal. and overbore already.
doc

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.