300 win mag or 7mm stw For long range shooting ?

redbone

We had an Temps around 15 at night an 45 in the day on Easter sunday in north west arkansas .

I need a little Help here.

I am looking to buy an Remongton Sendero in 300 win mag or 7 mm stw in Sendero .

For shooting long range up 1000 yards .

If you shoot an 300 win mag or an 7 mm stw Long range Can you tell me How your rifle shoots What is your set up Scope, barrel size , Kind of stock .

Wkat size of bullets .

Do you use H 1000 or some other powder.
an what ever else you can thought in .

Redbone

That my friend is a tough one.

I am going to want to build either of the 2 cartridges when the time comes. For out to 1K up to the size of elk, either will work fine.

I think ballistically, the 7mm might drop less, and drift less. However, the 300 "might" hit harder.

Its really a tough choice, in the STW I would shoot nothing but the 180g VLD at around 3000fps. With almost a .7 BC, that would make for one the best Long range deer rifles I could ever think of. Still have more then enough ummphhh to take elk and bears to.

In the 300 WM, I would shoot either the 190-210g VLD bullets. They might start out slower and with a little lower BC, but the little added bullet weight makes me a little happier on elk and bears.

To me, either are a great round, perfect for 1K shooting. I would be hard pressed to say ones better then the other.

I would go with the 7 but truly it is a personal decision that you need to make and be content with.
Either will do the job, so you could say the answer to your question is, "Yes!"

My LR rig is an XP-100 specialty handgun chambered in 7mm Dakota (pretty much a twin to the STW). 1-7 twist, 200 grain wildcat bullet, Holland brake, Leupy Mark 4 8.5-25 M1 with ART reticle.
If I can do it with a XP, a rifle properly put together can exceed it.

I think you would be happy with either one. I have both. I had the 300wm first and then thought the 7STW would be better but I have found that the quality of the brass has me shooting the 300wm more. I will eventually have the 7STW rechambered to 7mm-300wm.

Im not as expierenced as others here but I have dealt with these two cartridges alot and found that they are both good cartridges. I never used my 300win past 450ish area. I took it out on to many squirle hunts before I started to get into longer ranges than 500. By then I had shot the barrel to much to keep my accuracy need for long range. 1000+. I am using an stw in a sendero and it holds real close to moa out to 1500 with an 162gr. amax. I am not expirenced with this to shoot animals that far yet but I am getting close. well to past 500yrds anyways. For deer I would like both. I would also try the suggested 180gr. berger as I would if I had the time.

the 7mm is a much more efficient caliber you can get a much higher BC. my brother shoots a STW and loves it. Retumbo is a much better powder than H1000 retumbo is less thermally sensitive.

Far Out Shooting

Re: 300 win mag or 7mm stw For long range shooting ?

I never used my 300win past 450ish area. I took it out on to many squirle hunts before I ...

A 300 Win Mag to go squirrel hunting?!!! LOL

You like to 'vaporize' them?
I'd hate to see what you hunt deer with. Probably a Tomahawk Cruise Missile. :)

Since you are looking at Sendero's in either 300 win or & STW for 1000 yard shooting. I can offer this from my personal fist hand experience. I have set up 4 of the early black barreled non-flued Senderos for 1000 yard hunting and shooting. These factory rifles, when bedded well and equipped with a good scope , rail, rings, trigger job and quality hand loads will usually hold to 1 moa or close at 1000. I like a 7mm also, but would advise you look into the throat life differences in the 7 STW and a 300 Win. an also the choice of quality brass. The readily available RWS brass fr the 300 is a very good choice. If you plan to shoot a lot this may help you decide. Also if Elk are ever a posibility I like the added energy at 1000 of the heavier 210 gr 300 bullet. I have found that with the 300 win H-1000 is a awesome choice. I have never seen a temp stability issue with H-1000 and have taken elk to 800 plus yards and a coyote past 1000 with this powder and a 210 Berger. Both were one shot kills at different elevations and temps. The 300 win also has a pretty good selection of on the shelf factory ammo for choices, and can probably be found in places the STW may not, if that matters to you. Like stated by others they are both very good choices for a 1000 yard gun. One more tid bit that I was given by a very well known barrel maker, when trying to make this decision for my self on my last custon build, he stated, " Well, the 300 win holds more than it's share of records, and I haven't seen the 7mm take over and dominate yet"

Good luck, it is a hard choice and I hope I have given you some good usable info to think about.

Jeff gun)gun)

Last edited:
With only the most modern high bc bullets will this be close for the 300 win. The big7stw has better designed bullets.

The difference is minimal if you can use the so far nonexistent nosler 190s with a bc of 640 . Without that the bcs just drag the power out of the 30 cal offerings, or it doesnt have enough power to push the 210-240 grs over 3000 fps.

The 7 will run a 168 with a bc of 650 at 3250 and over 500 yards it is simply the efficiency of the bullet that carries the day.

I own 3 300s and two 7 Stws.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts