270 Win For Long Range Shooting

He asked me not to start a thread with my questions about long range hunting and shooting and the guns with which to do it, but use this and similar threads already up.

Thanks,
Downright Dave

I give up ...

bangHeadAgainstWall.gif

i use Hornady SST 150 gr in my 270 out to 525 yds and ive goten 7inc groups out of me tikka t3

Thank You, this is very good information for a newbie like me.

I hate being a niggler, but alas, that's exactly what I am.

If You Here My Shot Your NOT My Target

If You Hear My Shot You're NOT My Target Fairly good English.

If You Hear My Shot You Were Not My Target Proper English.

Thanks for abiding me.

Downright Dave

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Shows some promise, no pressure signs yet.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Ed[/FONT]
[/QUOTE]

I settled finally on the 130gr Cutting Edge high BC bullets. The bullets have a 540bc and they shoot into one hole at 3300 fps in the 270 Ackley Improved.

I just returned from Colorado where a 28" 4x4 didn't think I could get him as he walked thru the sage brush at 372 yards. He had no idea I had been reading this forum for a year and 372 is a chip shot to most guys on this forum.

So my 270AI is on the board with a really nice buck. I'll post pictures when I review how.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Shows some promise, no pressure signs yet.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Ed[/FONT]

I settled finally on the 130gr Cutting Edge high BC bullets. The bullets have a 540bc and they shoot into one hole at 3300 fps in the 270 Ackley Improved.

I just returned from Colorado where a 28" 4x4 didn't think I could get him as he walked thru the sage brush at 372 yards. He had no idea I had been reading this forum for a year and 372 is a chip shot to most guys on this forum.

So my 270AI is on the board with a really nice buck. I'll post pictures when I review how.[/QUOTE]
Congrats, how was the bullets terminal performance?

Congrats, how was the bullets terminal performance?[/QUOTE]

I was leading the buck as he was walking at 372 yards so the shot hit him in the neck. I led him too far to put it on the shoulder- my sight picture was not exactly what I wanted when I shot- but God was gracious to me.

It did it's job, the exit hole was an inch, but the bullet didn't meet a lot of resistence. So I can't really tell you about ultimate penetration and expansion.

There are quite a few pictures of the terminal performance of this bullet on Cutting Edges' website at a variety of distances and animals.

This bullet has unbelievable accuracy in my gun. The gun has always been a good hunting shooter- 3/4 inch groups. I usually shot Nosler Ballistic Tip 140s. With this bullet, I am cutting the same hole. The BC is higher and the velocity faster. I think it turns the 270 AI into a viable 1,000 yard deer gun. At the elevations I am hunting this bullet has over 1,100 FT lbs. at 1000 yards.

Congrats, how was the bullets terminal performance?

I was leading the buck as he was walking at 372 yards so the shot hit him in the neck. I led him too far to put it on the shoulder- my sight picture was not exactly what I wanted when I shot- but God was gracious to me.

It did it's job, the exit hole was an inch, but the bullet didn't meet a lot of resistence. So I can't really tell you about ultimate penetration and expansion.

There are quite a few pictures of the terminal performance of this bullet on Cutting Edges' website at a variety of distances and animals.

This bullet has unbelievable accuracy in my gun. The gun has always been a good hunting shooter- 3/4 inch groups. I usually shot Nosler Ballistic Tip 140s. With this bullet, I am cutting the same hole. The BC is higher and the velocity faster. I think it turns the 270 AI into a viable 1,000 yard deer gun. At the elevations I am hunting this bullet has over 1,100 FT lbs. at 1000 yards.[/QUOTE]

That does sound like an awesome set up! The new ABLR's should be pretty decent as well in my 270WSM... Can't wait to try them as well.

tas wildlife rescue, magazine, issue four, rescue, rehabilitation, release

Hi there! Great rifle photos. I like it. I would like also to share wildlife magazine that details to the first issue till five issue. It also guides you to understand what wildlife is and how to give care to them.

For more details, see this site: Magazine issues - Wildlife Rescue Magazine

Re: tas wildlife rescue, magazine, issue four, rescue, rehabilitation, release

Hi there! Great rifle photos. I like it. I would like also to share wildlife magazine that details to the first issue till five issue. It also guides you to understand what wildlife is and how to give care to them.

For more details, see this site: Magazine issues - Wildlife Rescue Magazine

Sandra22, Looks like you're new here, and this post might be better in the varmint section unless you're using a 270 to shoot possums, wombats, platypus and bandicoots. Having not shot those I can't say whats best, but when I was a kid we shot a lot of bats. A 20 gauge, beside a pond in a hollow skylines them in the summer. Percentages are low but the shooting is pretty constant.

Re: tas wildlife rescue, magazine, issue four, rescue, rehabilitation, release

Sandra22, Looks like you're new here, and this post might be better in the varmint section unless you're using a 270 to shoot possums, wombats, platypus and bandicoots. Having not shot those I can't say whats best, but when I was a kid we shot a lot of bats. A 20 gauge, beside a pond in a hollow skylines them in the summer. Percentages are low but the shooting is pretty constant.

L:DL!

I understand that a faster twist is necesary to stabilize the longer, heavier bullets but what affect does that have on the smaller bullets?
One of the reasons I really like the .270 is being able to load for anything from prairie dogs to elk, but would I lose that if I rebarrel with a faster twist?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.