270 weatherby

parrett

I have a very accurate 270 wby on a remington action built for me by Ray Romaine and I was wondering if any of you used that caliber for long range hunting and if so, what bullets you found to be the best for the task. I've shot a lot of rifles, but this one is just incredible and I want to utilize it to it's maximum potential. Thanks in advance and this is a great site.

Dan

I have a 270wsm in the Remington 700xcr that is real accurate. I am going to try the Berger 150gr. VLD with there BC of 0.545.

My dad's 270 Weatherby shoots the 130 gr XBT lights out at 3470 fps. That being said, it is not a great choice for long range applications. I would start with the 169.5 (I think) gr bullets from Wildcat Bullets. That should put you into another dimension as far as long range shooting goes. If you wanted to just experiment a little first, get some 150 gr Nosler Ballistic tips and shoot some paper.

parrett,
I have a custom Switch Barrel rifle on a Win Model 70 Classic Stainless action in,270 Weatherby,7mm Weatherby,300 Win Mag and 338 Win Mag.
Out of all these barrels (all 26") the 270 is the most accurate by a fair margin.
The best bullet for long range (up to 600 yards) is the Nosler 140gr Accubond,in my rifle,I have tried others,but this performs the best.
I can get .25" groups @ 200 if I do my part with this cartridge.
You need to try different brands until you find the one your rifle likes.
Good Luck.
MagnumManiac
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.