270 bullet best for whitetailed deer

1800 fps is considered by many to be a minimum acceptable impact velocity by any bullet for a clean kill, so yes you may be stretching it with your 770 yard requirement, but the Hammer Hunter bullets will give you terminal performance you won't have to worry about from muzzle (whatever the velocity) down to 1800 fps

I will try these out as well as some of the other suggestions. I know I can't have the best of both worlds but I don't have many rifles to choose from like a lot of guys here. Just trying to make do with what I have.

I will try these out as well as some of the other suggestions. I know I can't have the best of both worlds but I don't have many rifles to choose from like a lot of guys here. Just trying to make do with what I have.
I hear you there.

If you have a good shooting rifle you like, then I suggest running two loads.

#1 Long range "soft skinned" bullet that your rifle likes, and you shoot well.
#2 Short range "tough skinned" bullet. Barnes, Hammer, Accubond, Partition, most importantly whatever will shoot closest to #1 from 0-300 yds.

Setup your rifle for #1, but carry your rifle with #2 in the pipe (or mag if that's how you roll), and follow with a couple #1.

Close/Quick shot, #2 puts the hammer down. If you have a longer shot, switch to #1. If you've got time to range, then you've got time to cycle the action once or twice.

I wore out a 270 WSM barrel with 140 gr Berger's killing whitetail and elk from 50 to 800 yards, I haven't shot anything better in a slower twist, I ran them 3300 fps and the 140 accubond at 3350 fps and by the time the accubond dropped to 2200 fps I was recovering bullets that were marginally open after going through deer and into soil.
Faster twist and the 165 Matrix was epic and the 170 Berger is drilling stuff!!

I hear you there.

If you have a good shooting rifle you like, then I suggest running two loads.

#1 Long range "soft skinned" bullet that your rifle likes, and you shoot well.
#2 Short range "tough skinned" bullet. Barnes, Hammer, Accubond, Partition, most importantly whatever will shoot closest to #1 from 0-300 yds.

Setup your rifle for #1, but carry your rifle with #2 in the pipe (or mag if that's how you roll), and follow with a couple #1.

Close/Quick shot, #2 puts the hammer down. If you have a longer shot, switch to #1. If you've got time to range, then you've got time to cycle the action once or twice.

Never would have thought of that, and not a bad idea at all. Might be something I work on shortly.
Thank you

I posted earlier on my experiences today with the 270 Ackley I have and running a 130nbt at 3308. They come apart and I had 1 deer that was not recovered from a 65 yard shot.

SO MY QUESTION IS....
What bullet do you guys suggest using on whitetailed deer in Va that is tough enough to stay together at 3300fps close distance, and still work their magic without pin holing them. My max distance ever around here is 770 yards and normally under 350 yards.
Looked at Hammers and accubond but concerned accubond won't open up on whitetail.

Going to stay with a 130 or 140 class bullet due to the 10 twist barrel.
Accubonds will work just fine on whitetails, but I suggest you look at the 129 grain Barnes LRX bullet. It will fire at approximately 3200 fps from a .270 Win. and appears to hold up under almost any circumstances. Lots of luck

I have killed 2 recently at 620 and 768 with that load and setup, today like I said I lost one deer and attached is a picture of the second one at about 100 yards. Bullet never left the shoulder, bone pieces killed the deer. View attachment 158484

If you like the NBT 130 for its LR performance, then when a close shot presents, I would place it in the ribs instead of the harder shoulder. I had a similar fragmentation with a NBT 100gr in 25-06.

I posted earlier on my experiences today with the 270 Ackley I have and running a 130nbt at 3308. They come apart and I had 1 deer that was not recovered from a 65 yard shot.

SO MY QUESTION IS....
What bullet do you guys suggest using on whitetailed deer in Va that is tough enough to stay together at 3300fps close distance, and still work their magic without pin holing them. My max distance ever around here is 770 yards and normally under 350 yards.
Looked at Hammers and accubond but concerned accubond won't open up on whitetail.

Going to stay with a 130 or 140 class bullet due to the 10 twist barrel.

I use 140gr Sierra SBT Gameking. Shot lots of deer under 350yds none of them took more than a few steps. I harvested a 5x5 elk at ~280yds this one managed to run for about 50yds before crashing. I shoot after the lungs.

I think you may want to consider a .270 Load for deer being shot at ranges expected to be in the 100 yards to 250 yards range and another load and bullet combo. built for expansion at 700 yards. They may not be be the same bullet. I will only use Nosler 130 Grain Ballistic Tips in my .270 Win. started at 3050 fps. I am hunting farm deer. Some shots may be 90 yards, some 125 yards. The internal damage is beyond belief at that range. No Exit holes, No second shots needed. No Tracking . Long range expansion and penetration may mean I try a 150 Grain, in my .270 Weatherby Mag . That will require experimentation on my part . I would start testing with The Nosler 150 Grn Accu- Bond LR Bullets .

Badlands Precision has a 128 bulldozer that will work fine in a 10 twist.
it is a aluminum tipped mono that is just the ticket. drive them as hard as you want they will hold together and also expand at lower velocity