270 / barnes 129gr lrx

Hespco

Recently picked up a like new, New Haven, Conn. Win 70 stainless CRF 270 w/24" Bbl. Took loading info out of the Barnes manual. Barnes used 130gr TSX/TTSX, R-P brass, Fed 210M primer, Rel 19 powder W/24" Bbl. Barnes manual listed 3211fps.
I used "Win" once fired brass, Barnes 129LRX bullet, Win standard LR primer, & Rel 19. Max load was listed at 59.5 grs Rel 19. Working up to 59.5grs of powder I was 12' from my chrono. Velocity read 3259 FPS. A bit more than the manual. I credit this to the fact the LRX bullet has a longer nose & boat tail. This means the bullet body contacting the rifling is shorter than the TSX style bullet. Less friction so the LRX should be slipperier. This 270 129 LRX has a BC of .469.
A friend of mine & his son use 270's with the Barnes 130gr TSX. They take elk each season with one shot kills & complete penetration . Never recovered a bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts