270 Allen Mag and WSM Shooters

We'll have to see. I'm only "customizing" already manufactured bullets.

I can only imagine there will be some discussions.

We'll see........

Roy,

As long as you give them away, you will be fine and do not need a Federal manufacturing license but maybe a state or local license. Maybe even a little liability insurance as well.

But, you will need a Federal license (FFL-06) when you start selling them and then probably a paid sponsorship on here to advertise them.

Basically, this is how RG got started with the HATS.

A gent that did not have a license started production before his license was issued and when the feds made their pre-approval inspection visit to his facility, they cuffed him and took him away for having non assembled components readily available for assembly and subsequent sale.

RG wound buying his equipment (hydraulic presses, manual presses and compnents) for pennies on the dollar (he paid the man's asking price) when it was sold after the guy (instant felon) spent five years in prison for unlawful/unlicensed production......

The man had to even get special permission to even go to the warehouse to show RG the equipment prior the sale.

Finally, he was even prohibited from shooting a bow for two years.....

Roy, be careful.

James

I've gone through the FFL thing before for a special condition and am about as familiar with BATF rules as with IRS rules.:D:D

Thanks for the heads up.......

Roy I am expecting a custom 270 next month Kirby has my parts I would like to try your 168's when I get it finished hope to be done by late march with the gun. 28" rock barrel hope to get 3200 out of it with 169.5 or your 168's

Whoo Hooo

Initial results are lookin good!!!!!

Micrometer is reading spot on, but the mike's quality is a bit questionable. But I've calibrated it against some 'standards' and she's pretty good.

Bullet grow only a little in length. I'll know better after Friday night when more of my tools are delivered.

They are being driven down from Idaho along with my wife. Don't know which I'm more excited about. Wife or the Allen Mag?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'll shoot some shots next week to get a feel for myself then send them out to the list.

168s to the WSM guys (unless there's someone who wants to launch large slow projectiles) and

168s and 180s to the AM guys.

We want to see the max velocity that these things will take with out dusting or becoming distorted.

Symptoms of dusting is obvious (no dust on the back stop and no hole in the target :D).

Symptoms of distortion/twisting in the throat is banana shaped groups this occurred with WC 195s a few shots before they started to dust.

Another symptom is groups grow proportionally with the amount of jump to the rifling. However, the groups are never small even with jamming.

This is pretty exciting, at least for this old poop.:)

Dang it Roy,

I got too many irons in the fire right now or you know I would jump on some of those big hunkers. Nothin I would love more than to drop one in on a big fat hog or two.

I just believe that right now it would be foolhardy for me to even ask for some, as I don't have a clue when they might get air born.

Keep me in mind though, hopefully I will get a break in the action soon and get some past due range time in.

I'll send you my info so maybe it will save some time later on.

Gettin' closer.

Rifle and wife arrived last evening. 11hr drive from Ogden to here. Son did all the driving. Wife having bronchitis. Hmmmmm, showed up defective.......:)

Calipers and such arrived also. Will provide some length comparisons etc next week.

I have altered a few (I'm purposely avoiding "made" cause that ain't what I'm doin'). Just improving/customizing or adding a little "touch".....

They "look" really good. The proof will be in the puddin'.

Won't get to use the local range, a pretty nifty one, until after I join. The next opportunity to join is 21 March.

If I can con a member to take me out there prior to that to run some of these first builts down the tube and they work, the schedule will move up a bit.

Heck, there is always something throwing a wrench in the works.

Around here if a spot isn't in town, its on DOE property or on a Pueblo. Plus there's hikers all over the mountains, bicycles all over the streets, and a ton of those "smart" cars looking like they are gonna tip over at any time.

Wouldn't it be my luck that the DOE closed the beer can, fridge, old junk car plinking/shooting spot just this week. Apparently DOE got tired of funding remediation of the place.:D

Re: Kirby Allen contact info?

Greetings!

I sent an email to [email protected] a few weeks ago and never got a response. Just checking to see if Kirby Allen has a new email address or is still in business as I can't seem to find anything else except on this forum and the last address I found was from a 2008 post.

Can anyone help me out with an accurate email address or tel.?

Thanks ahead for the help!

Cheers,
Cork
corkgraham.com

That's the correct e-mail address.

And Kirby (Fiftydriver) posted on this forum as recently as Saturday, March 7th.

I'd try that e-mail again. You could try also try sending him a Pesonal Message(PM) through this Forum.

Re: 270 Allen Mag and WSM Shooters Decision Point

Things really can go slow these days........

i have learned that its ok to "customize" or even manufacture bullets for your own use.

However, if you so much as send them around gratis for testing all of a sudden you're a felon.

Thus nothing as been sent out for testing. I'm doing it myself.

After having a local nukalur grade machine shop make a gizmo to assist in assuring that the bullets are fed into the die as straight as possible.

As a result culls have been reduced to a very livable level. My spin tests show no more out of roundness than the factory bullets which by the way are nearly perfect.

About the time I got the process to produce uniform straight bullets I ran out of 180 grainers, which showed the most promise.

I just got back from the range and confirmed that the 168s will not work in my barrel. Even with a reduced load of 88gr of US869 4 of the 5 shots made cute little 1/4 moon or a very bent banana penetration at 50 yds. Only one of the penetrations was close to round. It was noticeably oval shape.

I shot two shots with bullets that didn't make the QC cut for s&gs. Same load just a bit of wobble. The did better as far as tumbling goes but made oval holes about 3" apart at 50 yds.

Conclusion: The 168s are not any tougher than the 150s though the 150s only show weakness at AM velocities but don't come apart. Shrinking the 168s the 0.007" to get them to 0.277" may be a bit to expect.

The 180s w/the thick jackets showed much more promise.

If BJ & Lerch's shipping dept. is on the ball I'll have some 180 thicks shortly. I should have a good assessment of them next week.

Suggestions would be to wait until pismatic gets things rolling for any high intensity 270 cal bullets 169gr and under.

Re: 270 Allen Mag and WSM Shooters Decision Point

i have learned that its ok to "customize" or even manufacture bullets for your own use.

However, if you so much as send them around gratis for testing all of a sudden you're a felon.

Roy,

I told you this a while back.

Don't get impatient. Stick with it. You willbe able to get them to work eventually.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.