265 gr aluminum bullets

new shooter

has anybody heard about any information on these bullets? how they are preforming? GG did you get any of these bulletts from Georgia or Alabama (not sure where) to test?

i have some but i haven't shot them yet. reason being i'm not going to test for accuracy but for terminal performance. i'm collecting milk jugs and only have about 15 of them. my plan is to shoot them into jugs at 500, 1000, and 1300 yards or some distance in this neighborhood. hopefully 3 or 4 at each range. each "test" requires 5 jugs and quite a few magazines which i tape together and put between each jug. it's a lot of work since i can't drive to my targets, i have to carry everything in and out. it's also a lot of fun. i'll post pics as soon as i smoke some jugs.

I received 11 of them from Magman.

5 went to GoodGrouper for bc testing.

6 stayed with me for accuracy and velocity tests.

My "check against this load" is 300 SMK 101 gr US-869 for 2735 FPS. Accuracy is very very good, when I do my part. On the order of 1/2 MOA @ 200 yds.

I had to shorten the COL from the SMK setting to get the 265 Al Tips to clear the action unfired. My Rem 700 is single shot.

I calculated a starting/maximum usable load, mostly by scratching my head and pondering. (Don't do this at your house:rolleyes:)

103 gr US-869 went in on top of the FED 215GM. Three shots averages 2896 fps with a low teens ES. Group was a titch over 1/2 MOA @ 200.

I loaded one of the three remaining ahead of 91 grains of H1000 - 2803 FPS
Loaded another w/94 gr Retumbo - 2852 slight bolt lift pressure required

Both of these powders appear too fast for this bullet in my rifle. 26" factory sporter barrel.

The last load was 104 gr US-869 gave 2936, hardly any faster than the 103 gr load. BUT, bolt lift was a problem and a piece of wood was used to extract the empty cartridge.

The three shots were around 3/4 MOA @ 200.

I ordered a couple of hundred of 'em.

The bullet maker indicates that the BC is the same as the 300 SMK. If that's true it turns the 338 RUM into good solid 1500 yd rifle. Impressive.

Dave,

Got Milk?;) Looking forward to your tests.

GREYGHOSTt - on this board.

He has been making custom bullets for over 20 years and it shows. They fly well and group well. Also we have not noticed any copper fouling even when running them hard.

He will have some rifle and specialty handgun .308 bullets available as soon as I get done with the testing. I personally think the .308s will be more impressive than the .338s.

His customer service is exceptional as well. Answers both phone and email messeges promptly.

James

Last edited by a moderator:
Are these aluminum bullets copper jacketed, because if they are not I would not shoot them in my rifles?

Aluminum when exposed to air oxidizes and when that happens a thin layer of Aluminum Oxide forms on the metal. Aluminum Oxide is commonly found as the abrasive material in many sand papers.

If the aluminum is interfacing with the lands and grooves or your rifle, shooting these bullets is the same as running a pieces of sand paper down your barrel every time you pull the trigger.

If the aluminum is contained in a copper jacket material then great.

It's not the whole bullet, just the tip.

This is one of RG's 280's on the left and a 300 SMK on the right.

IMG_2429.jpg
[/IMG]

He has been making custom bullets for over 20 years and it shows. They fly well and group well. Also we have not noticed any copper fouling even when running them hard.

He will have some rifle and specialty handgun .308 bullets available as soon as I get done with the testing. I personally think the .308s will be more impressive than the .338s.

His customer service is exceptional as well. Answers both phone and email messeges promptly.

James

How can that be i thought all copper bullets left copper in the barrel?

When the barrel is smooth and the bullets are of good chemical composition they tend to foul very little. For instance, I left shooters choice in the barrel for 24 hours yesterday after a range session and got no copper indication. I then scrubbed the barrel with a brass brush and got an indication of copper. They do not foul in my barrels! The only copper component in the barrel is the brass from the brush.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.