265 ABLR in 338 Win?

SilverbulletMAG

I need a sanity check fellas, as I may have an unrealistic goal with this rifle shooting the 265 AB Long Range.

The very first powder I tried with this bullet/rifle combo was IMR4350 and the very first trip out provided the most accurate load. I have since spent months trying to get that same accuracy but, at a higher velocity. That IMR4350 load is a ragged hole at 100yds (actually had to triple check because I thought I was off the paper somehow) but the node is slower than I'd prefer coming in around 2475fps. Loaded up to max and accuracy falls off the faster it's pushed and I never found the "top end-second node" I was hoping for. I then tried RL19 and H4831SC with poor accuracy. I have a ton of H100V on hand so for grins I gave that a shot. This powder makes the 265 absolutely scream! I was hitting well over 2800fps without any scary pressure signs but again, accuracy wasn't great (1 to 1.5 MOA) unless I kept it around that 2500fps node. With all powders tested, I started low and worked up (over a long period of time) to the max for each and all were staggered .3 grains. I am confident all potential nodes were covered with those powders. The only thing I haven't done was seat shorter but, the plan was to do the seating test last once I found something that shot sub-MOA over 2600fps. Mag length is killing me though and I'm having to jump further than I'd like (had good luck with 0.30" jump with other ABLR rounds) but can't get that close in this rifle.

Question for all of you - am I chasing my tail trying to find a powder that will be as accurate at 2600+fps as it is at 2450-2500fps? I concede the extra ~100fps is pretty meaningless but, as some of you may be able to relate, 2600fps+ and sub MOA was the goal going into it and not hitting that goal is bugging me. Other powders on hand to try would be H4350, Ramshot Hunter, Reloder 16, IMR 4064 or IMR 4451.

Why? Out of elevation adjustment?
Absolutely no legitimate reason other than I went into it with a goal of at least sub-MOA at 2600+fps. Because clearly under 2500fps, it just won't kill anything and over 2600fps it may just be enough to put bambi down...;)

I share your desire to maximize a cartridges potential.
The 338 wm often struggles with it's limited case capacity and heavy 33 cal bullets. Without running the numbers, I'd guess the sweet spot is around 225 grs for the wm.
From your description, it's sounds like the ablr isn't meant to be for your gun.
Maybe a Wyatt's box extender will get you the additional coal needed.

I share your desire to maximize a cartridges potential.
The 338 wm often struggles with it's limited case capacity and heavy 33 cal bullets. Without running the numbers, I'd guess the sweet spot is around 225 grs for the wm.
From your description, it's sounds like the ablr isn't meant to be for your gun.
Maybe a Wyatt's box extender will get you the additional coal needed.
I would agree. The win msg shines with 225-250 grain bullets, 225 can be pushed near 3000 in some rifles, and 250's at 2800 will kill big animals even when they are out there a ways. If you want a mega long range 338, step up to an edge or a Lapua.

To close the loop on this one for anyone that was curious or in the same boat.....RL16 ended up being the ticket. Still room for fine tuning but currently at 2630fps, 7 SD, and 3/4 MOA at 100 yards. Should be able to tighten that up a bit more and then make sure it holds together at 400-600 yards.

The 338 win mag is my favorite lower 48 all around rifle .I went to the 338-378 wratherby for my long range big game rifle in Alaska .I have used the 338 win mag from 3 yards to 425 yards .I think the 265 grain should be a awewome long range load .I liked the speer 275 grain bullet it really knocked stuff down .

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.