265 gr, 338 Accubond

I have been experimenting with the 285 Hornady ELDM for the last year and a half and the jury is still out. In 2019 I shot 2 doe antelope at just under 400 yards and both were DRT. Recovered a partial bullet on one that was quartering away after it broke the offside front leg, totally shattering it.

Shot a bull elk at 500 yards, bull never reacted to the shot but dropped stone dead at 40 yards. Bullet didn't exit and when quartering the elk, it appears the lead and jacket separated and the lead caused bloodshot around the back strap area that was a full 8 inches higher than the entry wound.

Shot another elk in 2019 at 500 yards, DRT, 1.5 inch exit, impact right behind the shoulder.

Shot a bull elk in 2020, 485 yards as elk was walking out of sight, heard the whack. Walked down to recover the elk and as I approached the group of trees I last saw him in, I see antlers moving around, rutro, he is still alive. I found hair through the trees at about 35 yards and shot. Elk stood up, and I hit him three more times before he was down for good. First shot grazed the top of his back and put him down, next three were right behind the shoulder and last shot was in the neck because his head was still up. None of the shots exited, but the shot through the neck had the bullet resting on the off side hide.

Cow elk in Dec of 2020, 300 yards hit high shoulder and DRT. Bullet did a lot of damage to the lower part of the spine, but didn't make it any further.

I like the 285 ELDM for paper racing because I can push it 2940 with 100 grs of RL33, but in all honesty the Berger kills better even though I can only run them at 2850. Another thing to note is that Hornady claims a .829 BC for the 285 ELDM and Litz shows the Hornady at something like .720 compared to .814 for the Berger. I have had a lot of impressive kills with the 300 gr Berger OTM and quite a few good kills with the 225 Nosler Accubond as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.