264 WM bullet choices

Kobra

I have a .264 that I have been itching to try some reloading for but I bought the gun on a whim assuming all manufacturers recognize the fact of 1-8" twist for the 140grs. Well I was wrong and Remington went with a 1-9" in my 700 BDL SS 26".

I am curious about the SciroccoII and Accubonds in 130gr and any of the 140gr VLD bullets working with this twist.

Anyone with experience on one of these? Remington sure does know how to miss the mark on twist rates - 6mm Rem, 6.8SPC, etc.

When I talked with Berger about the twist rate in my 7rum and the 168's and 180's they said both would work because it was a 1/9 or faster so I assume it may be the same in your case. I have a 264 that I just started playing with and I shoot 59.5 grains of IMR 4350 with 120 bergers and 61.5 grains of RL 25 with 140 Amax. The 120's are at 3250 and the 140's at 2980. They both shoot 1.5 to 1.750 at 300yds. The zero at 300 is only about 1/2 in low with the 140's. I really like this gun. 308 Nate is building me a 7mm/300 wsm. It should be ready by the middle of June. Talked with him today about putting a break, coating the barrel and action, fluteing the bolt and new bolt handle when the new gun arives. So I guess this one is a keeper too. I know this is more info than you ask for but I kinda got carried away. Dan

Actually I had some interests in 140 AMax's as well. They grouped well? Interesting. Basically my .264 is to become my LR Deer rifle for those once in a blue moon hunts I get over KY beanfields from a tree stand. I admit I have other rifles for this same job but the 6.5mm intruiques me. My guess is most of you guys have "rifle overlap" like myself.

Yes, I'd agree that Remington does seem to have some difficulty understanding "versatility" in setting their twist rates. Once they decide a certain cartridge is best with light bullets, that's that.

Stability is just as dependent on velocity as it is actual twist rate, and twist rate recommendations are generally given for the median velocities we'd expect that bullet used with. At the velocities I'd expect from your rifle, you may even be able to stabilize the 140 A-Max or SMK.

The Berger 130 is likely going to be a good choice, if not, then the 120.

For target work, you might try Norma's 130s. I'm having very good success with them in a .260 and am getting ready to do some testing in a 6.5-284.

For hunting smaller critters, like varmints and whitetails, I used quite a few Nosler 120 BTs in my 6.5-300 Wby. They shot very accurately, held up to the velocity (3,500 fps) just fine and were very effective on game, albeit a little destructive.

I have a Rem 700 CDL SF that I have been working loads up for. Both 142 gr SMK's and 140 gr Bergers shoot very well in my rifle, the 9 in twist seems to stabilize them just fine. Both shoot 1/2-3/4 inch groups. I've been loading 61 gr of RL22, Fed 215M primers, Win cases going 3075 fps. My tightest group of 5 with the Bergers was just over 1/2 inch at 100 yards. I've also shot the 130 gr Accubonds and they also shoot very well.

A 9:1 will work with anything in 26cal, it's just that 8:1 will also and it's better.

However,,
"Stability is just as dependent on velocity as it is actual twist rate, and twist rate recommendations are generally given for the median velocities we'd expect that bullet used with"
This is total rubbish..

I have a 264 Win mag with a 27 3/4" Shilen 9 twist barrel on a Rem 700 action that is a screamer and a tack driver. My deer hunting load that I took 4 deer with this year from 98 to 275 yards with this year consisted of a 130 gr Nosler Accubond, 66.5 grs Retumbo, case was WW reformed 7mm Rem mag, CCI 250 primer. The bullet is loaded 10 thousands off the lands and it averages 3350 fps and will shoot one ragged hole for 3 shots @ 100 yards. All deer were killed with one shot each and all dropped in their tracks. Three had exits about the size of a golf ball but I did recover one bullet from a buck shot a 111 yards that was faceing me with a slight left shoulder angle. Bullet entered the front edge of the left shoulder and destroyed it and made soup out of it's vitals and I found the bullet in the right ham when I was cutting up the meat. It was a textbook mushroom and the weight was 71 grs. I like those Accubonds. My rifle also shoot pretty good with 140 gr bullets. Because of the posibility of close shots as well as long range shots I went with the 130 Accubond because I was worried about bullet blow up with the velocity I get out of that long barrel and I will probably stick with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.